EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-15, 12:50 AM   #1
philb
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default how to get Outback inverter to auto start champion generator

I'm looking for a way to rig a new champion generator 3500 /4000 watt model to auto start via Outback 3524. There are auto starts available on line starting at $250! My budget won't allow that for a while. The generator also has an automatic choke and a nifty WiFi key start.

The Outback inverter has a aux contact which can turn power off and on. My Midnite classic charge controller could serve this function too, I think. Both are good enough to activate a relay.

So that's what I have to work with. I also have several solid state relays and delayed relays to throw into the pile.

Turning the run circuit on is easy enough and the automatic choke has taken care of that.

The only real task is going to be turning the starter on and off when the engine starts.

I'd like to hear some ideas, good or bad. Someone here must have been up against this brick wall before. Thanks!

philb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-15, 01:18 AM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Use an OpenWRT router or similar to send the start signal via WiFi. You can use Wireshark to reverse engineer the protocol. Use a comparator or ADC to check the battery bank voltage, low pass filtered with at least 10 seconds time constant so a voltage sag due to inrush doesn't trigger it.
philb (01-16-15)
Old 01-20-15, 07:11 PM   #3
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

There are 2 problems with any automatic starter
  1. Turning the starter off after the engines starts, but before the starter gear bet torn up.
  2. Turning the starter off when the engine does NOT start and before the starter over heats.
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-15, 02:15 AM   #4
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

The WiFi controller almost certainly already has that logic built into it. I suspect they're using an "Internet of Things" chip (microcontroller with built in low power WiFi) like the ones from Ozmo. They were originally designed for low bandwidth, very low power applications like WiFi mice and remote controls, and can easily run for months or more from some AAs.
Old 01-22-15, 03:15 AM   #5
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Oil pressure switch, at x psi disengage start relay.

gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote