EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-16, 07:07 PM   #21
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Are there ten 1.8volt cells in that pack?

I wonder if you might have one open cell and the rest are still good.?.

Old 05-24-16, 08:16 PM   #22
oil pan 4
Land owner

I have stuck with plug in trimmers for this reason.
The first one, a black and decker lasted from 2008 till 2013 or 2014 when I tried to use it with 0.080 weedeater line and tried to take down a tumble weed and broke the plastic ring gear.
Then the second one has lasted since 2014, that modle had been discontinued so I bought a used one with bad trigger switch off ebay for parts.
I still use 0.080 weedeater line.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 08:28 PM   #23
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I used a Greenworks 40V Lithium G-Max DigiPro strimmer, and it worked pretty well. A 2Ah battery lasted about 45 minutes. It came with a 4Ah battery - my in-laws also have a 20" twin blade mower, that came with a 2Ah and a 4Ah battery. The mover really needs four 4Ah batteries to be useful for their ~1/2 acre lawn; when the grass is long, anyway.

The shoulder strap is well balanced, and it has two speed ranges, with the trigger letting you vary the speed. The gear box gets warm, but not hot. I think reloading the string is fairly easy - much easier than the Stihl was. (The Stihl was destroyed in the house fire at my in-laws house.)

It was on sale at Amazon for $170 with the 4Ah battery and charger, which is only $47 more than the battery alone.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 09:14 PM   #24
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Are there ten 1.8volt cells in that pack?

I wonder if you might have one open cell and the rest are still good.?.
There are 10 3.7V cells in the pack. The configuration is 2 parallel, 5 series.

Sadly, I did check a bunch of the cells and they're all below 1V.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-16, 06:55 AM   #25
stevehull
Steve Hull

Those cells are all over eBay and rebuilding a battery pack is not hard nor expensive. I have done a few rebuilds.

Steve
Daox (05-25-16)
Old 05-25-16, 08:41 AM   #26
Daox
Administrator

Thanks, I'll look into that. It would be nice to get 15 cells and get some extra capacity out of the pack...

&
Old 05-25-16, 08:45 AM   #27
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Sounds like either one cell went bad and brought all the other ones down or the charger went bad and did the job. It is possible to bring the cells back one at a time until you find the bad one but it may not be worth your time. Years ago I was using the 36V DeWalt packs for my ebike and shortly after I bought my then $100/pack it quit working. After disassembly I found one cell below one volt.I just connected a couple D cells in series for 3.2V and then parallelled them with the lithium cell. That brought the single cell voltage up to above 2.6 or 2.8V-- what ever the charger minimum voltage was and then allowed the factory charger to do its job and charge the complete pack. I'm still using that pack in the drill it was made for. Don't know if it would work for you since all your cells seem dead and it might depend on how long they have been at that low voltage but it could be worth a try.

JJ
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jjackstone For This Useful Post:
stevehull (05-25-16)
Old 05-26-16, 10:13 AM   #28
Higgy
The Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilBlanchard View Post
I used a Greenworks 40V Lithium G-Max DigiPro strimmer, and it worked pretty well. A 2Ah battery lasted about 45 minutes. It came with a 4Ah battery - my in-laws also have a 20" twin blade mower, that came with a 2Ah and a 4Ah battery. The mover really needs four 4Ah batteries to be useful for their ~1/2 acre lawn; when the grass is long, anyway.

The shoulder strap is well balanced, and it has two speed ranges, with the trigger letting you vary the speed. The gear box gets warm, but not hot. I think reloading the string is fairly easy - much easier than the Stihl was. (The Stihl was destroyed in the house fire at my in-laws house.)

It was on sale at Amazon for $170 with the 4Ah battery and charger, which is only $47 more than the battery alone.
I've got the greenworks 20v one. So far seems to work for me. I don't do a lot of weedwacking though. I also have the greenworks leaf blower/sucker, so I can interchange the batteries as they're both 20v.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-16, 01:35 PM   #29
Daox
Administrator

I ended up going with an aftermarket 4.0 Ah pack. This is a bit larger than the OEM spec of 2.6 Ah. It was $50, but it should give me considerably longer run times and also longer pack life I hope!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	41VuMaN7UBL._SY355_.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	13.1 KB
ID:	6977  

&
Old 05-31-16, 04:54 PM   #30
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I got one of these, it really is amazing. I have 3+ acres and lots of trimming due to the fact that we don't use roundup. It will trim the yard twice before needing charged and I haven't found anything it won't cut that a gas can.

ECHO 58-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless Cordless String Trimmer with 4 Ah Battery-CST-58V4AH - The Home Depot