Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-05-09, 07:48 PM   #1
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd
Default Het

High Efficiency Toilet.

Well 2 of them actually.

Found them at Sams club $104 with everything ended up changing 2 of my 4 toilets out, I don't know what the payback is (probably never) but they use .8 gallon on low and 1.4 on high (2 buttons on top), flush great, and look much nicer than the old yellow ones we pulled.

dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 10:56 PM   #2
SVOboy
Administrator

Well, if they look nicer that counts for payback eh? How's the quality?
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-09, 11:15 PM   #3
dremd
Need More Eco

That's true.

Quality appears very good I hope they keep looking + working as well as they do now.
Old 01-06-09, 07:10 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I also might be replacing a toilet soon. We have one that keeps getting plugged and I think theres a toy or something stuck in it. I'm gonna try to cut it out with a plumbers snake with a cutter on the end. If that doesn't work I'm definitely getting a two flush toilet.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-09, 07:06 PM   #5
dremd
Need More Eco

Had to un-plug my grandmothers toilet this week; I guarantee that these flush much much better with .75 gallon than hers does with 4.25 gallons.
Old 01-12-09, 07:53 PM   #6
knowbodies
Home Improvement Goon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dremd View Post
High Efficiency Toilet.

Well 2 of them actually.

Found them at Sams club $104 with everything ended up changing 2 of my 4 toilets out, I don't know what the payback is (probably never) but they use .8 gallon on low and 1.4 on high (2 buttons on top), flush great, and look much nicer than the old yellow ones we pulled.
You would be surprised how much they save but it depends on how much your water costs. Water is $1.10 per cubic meter where I live. Swapping an old 18L toilet and replacing 6L toilet would save $4 per month (assuming 10 flushes per day). Payback time is about 26 months for $104 toilet. You can round it up to 3 years to cover incidentals.
knowbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-09, 10:33 PM   #7
dremd
Need More Eco

Quote:
Originally Posted by knowbodies View Post
You would be surprised how much they save but it depends on how much your water costs. Water is $1.10 per cubic meter where I live. Swapping an old 18L toilet and replacing 6L toilet would save $4 per month (assuming 10 flushes per day). Payback time is about 26 months for $104 toilet. You can round it up to 3 years to cover incidentals.
I wish I had City water . . . Not sure if the well is cheaper, or not . . . . .

Well is hard to determine water cost; 2 Pumps running different times/ loads depending on conditions. Pre- filter, Water softener, water softener salt, just spent several days and $$$ on the well . . . . . I need to figure out what the issue with the water softener is soon (severe restriction).
Old 01-13-09, 09:56 AM   #8
truckncycle
Helper EcoRenovator

At least with your HET's your well is that much less likely to go dry. I have been thinking about changing out my brother's toilets for low flow since their well goes dry occasionally.

I am glad that the HET's are working well for you. When I changed out one of our toilets last year, I chose to just get the standard low flow type. I figured that I would let the HET's get a few years of design time before changing to them.
truckncycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 10:43 AM   #9
knowbodies
Home Improvement Goon

Water rates just went up again in my locale. It's now$1.21 per cubic meter. So I replaced my one low efficiency toilet with a HD brand dual flush toilet. Cost was about $150 including incidentals. Then I found out about a $50 dollar rebate from my local watershed authority. The cheque should be here in a few weeks.
knowbodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-09, 06:47 PM   #10
Daox
Administrator

Very nice. Please keep us up to date with the performance of the toilet. I assume this is the 6l flusher you talked about earlier?

Daox is offline   Reply With Quote