EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-08, 08:32 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Odd bulb to replace with CFL or LED?

I have two of these bulbs hanging in fixtures above my kitchen sink. The wife loves to leave this light on and I'd love to see them off, but the next best thing would be something that takes way less energy. The problem is the small sized threaded connector on it. Any ideas where I could get something to replace these? I haven't seen any CFLs with that sized connector.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-08, 10:04 AM   #2
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

We're actually having a similar issue. We bought a new ceiling fan that has the smaller threaded bulbs. The old one (4 standard size threaded bulbs) we split 2 regular 40W bulbs, and 2 CFLs. (We have that light on a sensor, and the voltage drop on the sensor part wouldn't allows all CFLs...) in any regards, we now have 4 40W bulbs with small threading. Luckily this lights allows a 2 on 2 off function, or all on. We haven't went shopping yet, but I hope we can find the smaller CFLs.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 06:29 AM   #3
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Dude... I found that size bulb in CFL at costco yesterday! It's actually a SMALLER thread than what I need, but they have em. But they're not round like that. They're flame shaped. I still haven't been in home depot yet to look for what I need (something in between 'regular' and that size.

What was even cooler was that they came with an adapter so you could fit em in a regular size fixture.
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-08, 09:06 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to look for something like that next time I go to the store.

&
Old 09-13-08, 12:42 AM   #5
dremd
Need More Eco

Send a message via AIM to dremd

Sams sells them as well, 6 pack (looking at box now)
I Lowes carries them some of the time.

2 Cautions about all of the bulbs I have tried (3 brands) with that base.

1) They don't bear the energy star logo
2) They start very slowly. (apparently the energy star requirements include a time to brightness spec)

If they are left on all the time it doesn't matter . . . .

Also never seen the round ones, just the long ones in cfl . . . ..
dremd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-08, 09:28 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

I just got home from Menards and was able to find some CFLs in a nice bulb style. They are 7 watts / 300 lumens (40W equivalent). Like insaneintention mentioned with the ones he saw, it has a converter to go up to a regular size plug. These were the only ones there besides the torch style that have the smaller plug.

&
Old 09-14-08, 08:40 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

I did a little more investigation work on this and found out the lumen rating on these bulbs is a bit on the low side compared to what Energy Star recommends for a 40W replacement. According to Energy Star's site, a 40W replacement must emit a minimum of 450 lumens to qualify. These bulbs only emit 300 lumens! This is quite a bit below the minimum rating.

With this realization in mind, I figured I'd throw one bulb in and compare it to its 40W incandescent cousin. The result wasn't too bad, but is slightly skewed. The CFL is a good bit longer (maybe 3/4") and sticks out of the bottom more. This allows more direct lighting to escape from the fixture, but doesn't look quite as nice.

Anyway, here is the picture that compares the two lights. The picture was taken about two minutes after turning on the lights, so the CFL is at full brightness (it didn't start out very dim anyways). The incandescent 40W bulb on the left, and the CFL 40W replacement on the right. As you can see, it lights up the counter almost as well as the incandescent. However, the lighting above the fixture is a bit darker. IMO this isn't a problem at all.

You can see the bulb stick out.

All lit up without a flash.

&

Last edited by Daox; 09-14-08 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: added info
Old 09-15-08, 09:22 AM   #8
Sandy
Lurking Renovator

WalMart was the only place I could find the globe style lights.
And they did have the smaller base one too.
My bath uses the exposed globes, they do light slowly,
so we have a small incandescent for use as an instant on
'for those occasions'
and have the vanity cfl's that are on for the longer term.
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-08, 11:01 AM   #9
Daox
Administrator

Ben recently posted a blog on a review of many CFL bulbs. They found some that light up very quickly.

Real Simple Rates the Best CFLs | EcoRenovator.org

&
Old 09-16-08, 08:00 AM   #10
Sandy
Lurking Renovator

At a local grocery store (Market Basket)
they have a big display of Sylvania 60 Watt CFLs,
package of 8 for $9.99
I think that's a good price.

Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote