EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-11, 11:24 AM   #11
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Your shed is located on asphalt? Ouch! Some sort of net or solar shading on the south side probably wouldn't hurt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
"3. Add insulation beneath the roof. 1" or thicker foam sheet (maybe PolyIso foam with the foil layer facing up) beneath the roof should help block the heat radiating downward."

That would work for sure. But, an air-gap sandwiched in there would help out..
That's exactly what I meant, leave a vented gap between the roof and the PolyIso foam. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 12:22 PM   #12
Travis
Helper EcoRenovator

I do use the rolled fiberglass under the roof decking, and on the walls, covered with a sheet of paneling.

The thing about these radiant barrier products, is that the stores which carry it can't answer any questions. The aluminum radiant barrier was too expensive to gamble blindly, so I went with traditional insulation.

For my double-wide doors, I used 3" medium-density foam board to save weight, but it has it has it's own shortcomings, mainly that the foam attracts certain flying wasps that want to to live in it. NO ONE told me this before I spent $4/sq. ft, and now I must schedule a bug bomb every 3-4 months.

I will test out the south-shading suggestion. IT may be more practical than covering the roof with camo. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimJFowler View Post
Your shed is located on asphalt? Ouch! Some sort of net or solar shading on the south side probably wouldn't hurt.

That's exactly what I meant, leave a vented gap between the roof and the PolyIso foam. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Tim
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-11, 04:42 PM   #13
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I do use the rolled fiberglass under the roof decking, and on the walls, covered with a sheet of paneling.
Is the fiberglass flush up against the roof deck? If not, you could place insulation trays aka soffit baffles between the fiberglass and the roof deck. Then you would need to add eave vents and a ridge vent. The insulation trays would connect the vents for air flow.

I did this on our house to allow air movement from the eave vents up to the ridge vent. Because your roof material is not a perfect solar reflector, some heat will radiate down through the roof deck. The soffit baffle allows air flow to vent the heat up through the ridge vent. That convection moves heat up and out of the roof and reduces the heat radiating downward into the shed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis View Post
I will test out the south-shading suggestion. IT may be more practical than covering the roof with camo. Thanks for the tip!
With all that said... I wonder how much reflected solar heat you are getting from the asphalt. Using some sort of shade cloth (maybe even a foil/mylar faced tarp) to shade the south side (or open door side) of your shed could be a quicker and easier way to cool things off.

Good luck,
Tim

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-11, 06:07 PM   #14
Travis
Helper EcoRenovator

My insulation is all the way up against the decking, I don't look toward pulling it anytime soon.
I did install some hard points for canvas, will look at making a permanent shade spot on the south face. Thanks for the suggestion.

Last edited by Travis; 06-11-11 at 06:35 PM..
Travis is offline   Reply With Quote