EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-22, 01:52 AM   #1
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Griddle - Redneck style

It’s been awhile since posted anything so here we go...

Griddle - Redneck style...

So, I was looking at getting in on the gas griddle craze and cooking outside to keep the smell, grease and smoke out of the house. Unfortunately, they want a small fortune for what is essentially a plate of steel and a burner. A large Blackstone griddle is in the $400ish range without a cover. My son said why not build one instead. He suggested using a old gas grill someone gave us several years ago that was slowly rusting away that we never used. So, I went out back to see if I could make it work.

Challenge accepted...

So this is what I’m working with.

I removed a bird nest and cleaned it up a little. I then hooked up a gas bottle and fired it up. It will need a new regulator and burners but it did fire up. Good deal...

So, it’s off to the scrap metal pile.

I chose a piece of 1/4” thick steel for the griddle and began laying out and cutting.

Not having access to a large heavy brake to bend up the sides meant that another method would be needed. So instead, I cut almost through the plate on the bend lines, leaving approximately .020” of material. I then clamped the plate to the table and used adjustable wrench’s with a little muscle to bend the plate to the desired position.

So, does it fit...???

Yup...😎

Time to weld up the filets.

You may be wondering why go through all the trouble of cutting partial through, bending and welding when I could have just cut all the pieces out separately and welded it together since I was welding it anyway. Well, I could have, but then the spatula wouldn’t fit cleanly against the sides making cooking and cleanup difficult. Besides, it looks better.

Time to season the grill.

I was out of used motor oil 😔, so I had to use vegetable...

Seasoned...

I forgot to take pictures of the grease trap construction (a hole in the back plate with a spout) but here is a finished picture of it along with the high dollar grease receptacle.

Time to cook. (first try) 🤞

Cheddar cheese wraps and sausage.

This was a fun little summer project and I’m pleased with the way the came out. The grill is now dual purpose as the original grates are still there and accessible with the removal of the griddle.

I have since replaced the burners and added a adjustable regulator for better heat control. Parts cost about $40. A tenth of the cost of a new one.

Now I’m hungry. I think I’ll fire it up...

😎

>

redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to redneck For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-20-22), Fordguy64 (01-20-22), Lawrence (02-08-22), u3b3rg33k (01-23-22), WoodBurner (09-09-22)
Old 01-20-22, 08:52 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Looks great... makes me hungry too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-22, 11:00 PM   #3
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Cool project. I have a old grill I might try this.
I have to look for some SS.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote