EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-14, 10:29 AM   #11
Daox
Administrator

Woo, thats great news. I thought I remembered hearing that when switching to the LED lights you just removed the ballasts, but I wasn't 100% sure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 11:37 AM   #12
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

I just thought of something. Perfect for the man cave. What about those light tubes. These are a inside mirrored tube that you put through the roof and presto you have natural daylight inside the building.

I've been in some homes and an airplane hanger that had them. They bring in a lot of light.(during the day of coarse) and I think their fairly inexpensive.

Randen
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-14, 12:10 PM   #13
Daox
Administrator

I've seen and I like the idea of the light tubes. However, I haven't found a place that sells them cheap. The least expensive I've seen is ~$300.

&
Old 11-11-14, 12:17 PM   #14
Daox
Administrator

Is there anything specific to look for (or look out for) when searching for these bulbs on ebay?

&
Old 11-12-14, 05:28 PM   #15
celblazer
Helper EcoRenovator

Here are the ones I got and my garage is nice and bright. Im not sure about harsness with the clear but they don't bother me yet. If they do seem harsh later I figure I would just get some glass frosting spray paint to take the edge off.

Linky
celblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-14, 07:11 PM   #16
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

This is the big difference between buying cheap chinese ebay stuff and something from your local small guy:

I understand that if you're poor, you have no choice. But for all the rest of us, places like elemental led are what makes America such a great country. Gobs and tons of small businesses exist everywhere. Please try to help keep the doors open for them.

If she can do it, you can do it:

Yes, you can find all this gear a whole lot cheaper. But it is not as easy to rig up, and then the guys at elemental might not be teaching young kids about this stuff in a few years... and she might lose her job. Then who would help spread the word?
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-14, 09:29 PM   #17
celblazer
Helper EcoRenovator

I love american made things but at 5x the cost in this case I just can't justify it.

7 48" USA Seller led tubes 120v $90.
7 36" elemental USA made strips 120V $455.
celblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-14, 12:46 PM   #18
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

My garage / workshop project inside dimensions are ~ 22'w and ~34' long. I put in three 8 foot T12 fixtures that I converted to T8 before installing. Each 8' fixture is two 4' bulbs wide, by two 4' bulbs long. Two fixtures are installed 4' in from the long side walls and one is crossways at about 26' away from from the overhead entry door. Ceiling is painted white, walls are Mountain Dew green. The pair running along the side walls are switched together and the crossways fixture is on its own circuit. I rarely use all three fixtures at once. It's close to an operating room in their when I do. Of course, 12 x 32w bulbs is 384w if I run all three fixtures.

I plan to go LED when the price per bulb for the Energy Star bulbs falls below $20.00 wholesale. At the rate prices are dropping, I think that is a year or less away. The cheaper Chinese bulbs don't meet the quality standards of Energy Star, so the ones that fit my budget today aren't going up in my garage. The tombstones {what we call the bulb holders here at work} for an LED only need powered at one end of the bulb. The other is only there to hold the other end of the LED bulb in place, so when the ballast comes out, the wiring should be super simple.

Will follow along to see what you wind up choosing.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-14, 01:20 PM   #19
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for bumping this. For now I just went with a super simple fix. I put up what I had. This is three dual 4' bulb T12 fixtures. Unfortunately, it seems one isn't working (physically damaged fixture), so its really just two dual 4' fixtures. As they go bad, I'll upgrade them to LEDs.

I'm kind of happy with the results. Obviously, the cost is nice (zero). But, they are magnetic ballasts and take some time to warm up to full brightness. I'm willing to wait as I had been working in less light before (for years).

Here are some images of it.

I put one fixture on either side of where the car's hood is.

Here is a before and after shot of the engine bay of the car. The pictures don't do it justice. Its actually quite a bit brighter than either picture shows.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141113_213815.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	95.1 KB
ID:	4786   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141113_213950.jpg
Views:	850
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	4787   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141113_213904.jpg
Views:	862
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	4788  

&
Old 11-20-14, 01:32 PM   #20
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'm certain when the time and funds come along, you will be amazed at the increased available light when you put sheetrock on the ceiling and paint it white. It might even encourage you to insulate and sheetrock the walls. The lighting and comfort levels will be dramatically brighter.

I'll try and get pictures this evening of how ours looks with all the lights on. Since our country cadillac is residing in their, I'll pop the hood so you can see the amount of light it sheds there as well. I did build it with 10' ceilings, but can't begn to tell whether that would make the lighting better or worse.

Oddly enough, the two pictures with the lights in them don't appear quite as bright as reality and the underhood picture is a little brighter than reality from the camera flash.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	112014 Center Light.JPG
Views:	831
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	4790   Click image for larger version

Name:	112014 Side Lights.JPG
Views:	808
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	4791   Click image for larger version

Name:	112014 Under Hood.JPG
Views:	791