EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-14, 10:26 PM   #1
ICanHas
Banned

Default Evaporator coil drier for A/C

Anyone tried setting one up? The coil itself holds about a pound of water per ton of cooling capacity and once it builds up to this capacity, further condensation is drained down the pipe.

As you get into evening hours and AC no longer needs to run, the water just evaporates back out into the conditioned space not to mention keeping everything inside the ducting very humid.

A simple setup that can air circulate outdoor air just within the air handler would avoid the problems associated with coil being wet all night long at room temperature as well as re-evaporation such as mold and bacteria growth in the AHU.

it would be easy to implement on a package unit, but needs a two pipe dryer vent like setup for a split unit.

Thoughts?

ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-14, 10:35 PM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Main challenge is to keep the conditioned air from leaking outdoors (or vice versa) when the A/C is in use. Other than that, it does sound like a good solution.
Old 08-16-14, 07:45 PM   #3
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

In the evenings the outdoor air is typically very humid. No sure how much coil drying would happen during the off cycle. A better solution is use the smallest system that will do the job. Smaller coil = less water held. Cycles are also longer helping reduce humidity in the house. Drawback is the system may not hold indoor setpoint when outdoor temps exceed 95f.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-14, 10:27 PM   #4
ICanHas
Banned

During shoulder seasons, a forced outdoor air ventilation through the evaporator using dampers could help with microbial growth at the coil.

I always dry the coil out as much as I can in my car by running the fan the last 5-10 minutes of driving if i'm going to be parking all day or all night. Haven't got stank air ever since.
ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ICanHas For This Useful Post:
Servicetech (08-17-14)
Old 08-17-14, 08:29 AM   #5
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

During shoulder seasons a residential economizer (aka open the return air to the outside for cooling) would dry the coil between cycles.

Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote