EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-18, 08:57 AM   #21
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Pinballooking

As I had mentioned we are heating 3600 sq.ft. with 3 ton water to water in a Canadian climate. Don't be nervous.!!! Even added to that is a 600 sq ft garage. But we only maintain that at 60 Deg F

I must admit when we first installed it I was deeply concerned about the run time. Its still running an hour latter Still!! two & three still??? Ok it stopped. This is completely normal My slab temps are held within a degree C. AND the house is very cosy.!! Then I give my head a shake at peak rates thats only $0.72 OK
On those extreme cold windy nites where the pump runs almost non stop, thats only $6.00 but we are still cozy.

Its a great system and you have solar PV.!!! Next you will want batteries and an inverter to do it all yourself.!!

Randen

randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 09:20 AM   #22
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks guys.
Randen Yes your 3 ton system working in very cold temps helped me decide to go with a 3 Ton system. What is your loop configuration?

My system should be to the transfer station on Monday. I am getting two digging quotes this weekend.
I have priced rental mini track hoe but I don’t have a truck big enough to tow it. I am booked with work and the system needs to be live before the first of the year.
It looks like I will be just covering the trenches back up with my tractor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-18, 01:01 PM   #23
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I just met the excavator guy he said if it does not rain to much today he can dig tomorrow.
1K to 1.1K two 270’ trenches three foot wide 6’ deep. I get 55% tax credit off that. My cost after tax credit is $495 for the digging.

I will use my tractor to dig the 30’ feet to our house and to fill in the dirt.
I am happy with that the other estimate was $2,100 more than I wanted to pay.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-02-18, 03:53 AM   #24
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

The excavators bucket was 4 ft wide so the pipe was laid two loops on the bottom of the trench. so the tube were 16" apart.

Randen
Old 12-02-18, 06:47 AM   #25
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

How long were your loops? How deep were they?

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-02-18 at 07:40 AM..
Old 12-02-18, 09:52 AM   #26
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

The installers dug three trenches 6' deep about 350' long because that was the with of the property. So 6 loops 350' = 4200. which is about 7 ton (600'/ton) But my memory thinks that one trench was a little shorter.. But for sure a little over 6 ton.

We had people from my wife's work visiting last nite. The heated floors where a big hit. Lots of questions. Geo Thermal----How does that work??

Randen
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 11:02 PM   #27
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We had to deal with a lot of rain on Saturday and Sunday a couple morning showers. But after lunch we were able to dig. One 270' trench 3' wide 6' foot deep is done. He has a 13 ton mini Ex it is the biggest mini you can get petty strong.

I have started digging from the house to the fence 4' wide 5'-6' deep.
I sure wish I had bought a 16" bucket but I am getting it done with the 10" bucket.

I guy that is digging has a day job digging for someone else so he will come after work to finish.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181202_172943.jpg
Views:	1452
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	8424   Click image for larger version

Name:	inCollage_20181202_182857280.jpg
Views:	1440
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	8425  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-03-18 at 10:15 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Fordguy64 (12-03-18), NeilBlanchard (05-17-19)
Old 12-03-18, 07:52 AM   #28
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My equipment was going to be here today they put it on the wrong semi trailer.
At least it stayed at the transfer station.
It is still in Ohio they assure me that it will be here tomorrow.

I talked to a nice lady today and she said she would get my equipment put on a truck to Knoxville. Then they have a driver coming here from Knoxville so I can pick it up tomorrow.
I just tracked it and it did indeed get put on a truck heading to Knoxville this is a good sign.

They got it figured out it is at the trucking terminal. I should be able to pick it up later today.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-04-18 at 07:23 AM..
Old 12-04-18, 08:19 PM   #29
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I picked my geothermal unit and 2,400 HDPE pipe. There was some minor damage but not bad at all.
They came back today and dug all but 75’ of the trench one more after noon and they will be done.
I had someone out today to bid taking out my natural gas heat and just setting in the Geo doing the duct-work.
He is going to big high I don’t think he wants to do just a small part

It was dark when they quit.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Attach0(1).jpg
Views:	1462
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	8431  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Fordguy64 (12-05-18)
Old 12-05-18, 06:56 PM   #30
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I dug under the foundation and up into the crawl space started a 6 am. All hand digging in very hard clay. That was a pain in the butt it is done. I then mounted the manifold in the crawl space.

I have the first to loops done and the return lines staked 2’ up the trench. it was a muddy mess. They finished digging the trench so I can now install the next two loops then start back filling.

Water is about a foot deep in places.
I was dark when I finished so I did not get any pictures. I was a wet cold muddy mess. Red wet clay everywhere.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Attach0.jpg
Views:	1409
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	8432  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-18-18)