EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-17-14, 01:23 PM   #321
Daox
Administrator

No updates on this yet. I just threw new bolts in for the time being. The grass REALLY needed to be cut.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 06:47 PM   #322
Daox
Administrator

Its been a while since an update here! The ecorider is still going strong, but I have replaced a battery or two since the last update.

Today was the first day I mowed the field this year. The batteries couldn't handle it all in one crack, and I am trying to be nice to my batteries anyways. Here is a before and after shot of my field. One more charge will easily do it. Not bad at all. It barely bogs down at all going through 12-18" grass / weeds. I think the deck clogs up before the motor stops spinning haha. I love this thing.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ecorider1.jpg
Views:	2118
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	6967   Click image for larger version

Name:	ecorider2.jpg
Views:	1225
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	6968  

&
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
dh1 (05-24-16), jeff5may (05-26-17), MetroMPG (05-25-16), NeilBlanchard (06-02-16), pletby (09-08-16)
Old 05-28-16, 11:47 PM   #323
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Looks great, I put a metal battery box behind the rear wheels on mine & it really helps traction.
Am installing some 6"X8" X 18ft Beams Put one on a trailer yesterday to take it out of the bedroom/painting room and up to the place it goes, Had to put wife and son in law on the front of the tractor so I could steer going uphill round a corner.
Today lifted another beam with the forklift and moved it into place, great not to have to lift the beams by hand (too often).
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 09:50 AM   #324
Daox
Administrator

It seems as though its time for my yearly update on the mower. I just replaced another battery last night. I'm now running all newer batteries. When I first got the mower put together I ran 3 group 31 batteries rated at 150 Ah (20hr rating). Then, I added another battery for more capacity, longer run times, and to lower the amp draw on the batteries. I toasted a few of those batteries due mainly to neglect over the years. When I originally purchased those batteries they were $95 a piece. Over the years, the price rose to around $150. So, I started searching around. The local Menards (big box home improvement store in the midwest) had deep cycle batteries for a great price. But, they didn't stock group 31 batteries and I didn't bother trying to bug them to get them in either. I just grabbed their group 27 battery on the shelf and gave it a go. Well, I just replaced the last group 31 battery last night with a group 27. These newer batteries are only rated for 105 Ah (20hr rating), but they get the job done just fine. I've since started to mow my yards in smaller sections between recharges to be kinder to the batteries anyways and these handle the smaller sections great.

These are the batteries I'm using now.

The mower does need a bit of work though, and I hope I get to it this year. The bearings in one of the mowing deck shafts are shot and making a good amount of noise. However, the shaft is also pretty shot. I tried taking it apart last year and the threads on it are pretty far gone. I'll try to find a replacement shaft before pulling it out this time. It could really use new blades too.

I also have one of my onboard soneil chargers that has gone bad. I think I've gone through about 3 of these. I'm pretty disappointed with how many have failed. They aren't super cheap. However, they do work amazingly well when they are working so I'll probably replace the bad one once again. In an effort to stop this from happening again, I think I am going to remove the chargers from the mower and leave them in the garage. That will stop them from having to be run around over all the bumps in the yard and hopefully extend their life. I'll add an 8 prong plug of some kind so its a simple plug in deal as it is now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	exidegroup27.jpg
Views:	1043
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	7778  

&
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
dh1 (05-25-17)
Old 05-25-17, 10:07 AM   #325
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Battricide!

Any regrets on this project? I know your motivation was more than financial, but all those batteries could have kept a gasser in fuel for a decade. (Source: made up statistic.)

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-17, 10:29 AM   #326
Daox
Administrator

The only real regret is that I haven't taken better care of it. I should really have 4 voltmeters, one for each battery, and a working ammeter (mine is busted). Without monitoring things, there is really no way to know if something goes wrong. This could have save a few batteries.

I do wish it had a bit more run time too. However, that just won't happen without going to a more energy dense battery and now we're talking $$$. So, I make do and definitely do enjoy using it still.

&
Old 05-25-17, 01:10 PM   #327
Daox
Administrator

For my own reference, the shaft I need is:

Simplicity 2108250SM

&
Old 05-25-17, 04:46 PM   #328
nibs
Apprentice EcoRenovator

On my third summer with a set of 4 6V T105 trojans, 24 volts total, have yet to run out of power in any application. even driving in the local parade
Have abandoned the mower, but use forklift and new dirt blade cut out of a welding O2 bottle.
Because the batts are mounted in a box behind the wheels, traction is amazing.
Would not go back to a gasser for lifting and moving stuff.
Gave up on electric steering, and bought a used marine steering manual hydraulic pump, with a boat steering wheel driving a honda hydraulic steering cylinder.
Real happy with the thing, tho probably could have bought a small used CUT tractor for what we have spent so far.
Cheers.
nibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-17, 09:31 AM   #329
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

You should bring the Eco-Rider up to the MREA Energy Fair!

Also, I once borrowed this tractor to take to a show and popped a wheelie on it...

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-17, 10:54 AM   #330
Daox
Administrator

Bad news for the mower. Apparently I overfilled my batteries and one of them spilled acid down the side... into the motor. I powered it up one day and there was a nice spark from inside the motor. I immediately turned it off and a few days later I tore it apart to find out what the damages were. Here is what I found.

I contacted Ben Nelson and another friend we have that works at a brush manufacturer for advise. This friend offered to turn down the commutator for me. I'll also need a new set of brushes most likely.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	motor01.jpg
Views:	1006
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	7787   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor02.jpg
Views:	1020
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	7788   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor03.jpg
Views:	1003
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	7789   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor04.jpg
Views:	1001
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	7790   Click image for larger version

Name:	motor05.jpg
Views:	982
Size:	105.2 KB
ID:	7791  

&

Tags
conversion, electric, lawn mower, tractor