EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-16, 10:58 AM   #11
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Steve,
I totally agree with you on the mainstream, average customer apathy and that the vast majority of consumers will not change their habits until it shows up on the power bill. The TOU and demand response billing rate structures have been around for a long time in the commercial sector, and have had the desired effect in that portion of the market. But with the "cattle" customer portion, I'm not so sure changing to these rate structures will have a profound effect. Most of them will just swallow a jagged pill and pay up.

Most of the ecorenovators active in the forums do not fit into this profile. A brave few have provided some outstanding examples for the rest of us to admire. It has been shown that as an individual, one can design and assemble a pv system that pays itself off rather quickly in energy savings. Already, there are many custom options available on the market for individual would-be installers to tailor a new system to their generation vs usage strategy. But for most non-savvy consumers, a shiny new crossover SUV seems a more practical investment, due to today's low gas prices.

As always, the government is way behind the ball, as with many other infrastructure issues. By the time these new rate strategies are approved and implemented, the pv may be into a "third or fourth generation" type of configuration that does the PID thing with the power grid. With ample storage capacity on the consumer side of the power wall, TOU or demand response billing schemes only become more attractive. That is, unless minimum service charges and grid connection fees and tariffs rise. The problem is, the power utilities are going in both directions pretty aggressively. A situation arises where the personally-owned systems have to outsmart the "smart grid" and pricing structures to remain highly economical.

jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
stevehull (02-23-16)
Old 02-23-16, 11:35 AM   #12
oil pan 4
Land owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjackstone View Post
So I don't know who is behind the continuing installations.
JJ
I am pretty sure its Benjamin Franklin.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-16, 04:50 PM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

This thread went off topic at post #8. Attention span is rapidly decaying in the USA.

You guys should start a Time Of Use thread for your wandering discussion, and move your posts there.

-AC
Old 02-27-16, 09:52 PM   #14
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

OK, so how about this angle?

Since president Obama has been in office, the Koch brothers and their cohorts have been shown very little love at the federal level of government. For the last 8 years, they have been focusing their efforts at the state level. Regardless of who takes the white house this year, they will continue these efforts. What ground they have gained at the state level will not be lost.

However, Obama has been very outspoken about his commitment to clean power. He has a plan in place that has already added gigawatts of solar production power to America's rooftops, and has had bipartisan support of his efforts in congress. Depending on how his successor views the clean power plan, it could be expanded upon or curtailed pretty easily in not much time.

The Kochs may be having beer at the white house with the next president next year if the right guy gets elected. Then again, they may not be shown that kind of treatment.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-16, 10:08 PM   #15
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Charles Koch: We like 5 GOP candidates in primaries
Charles Koch: We like 5 GOP candidates in primaries

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/0...ifornia-120663
This is why brothers are scared Trump is winning they can’t buy him.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-16, 09:16 AM   #16
Robaroni
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I recently did a piece for our local paper on PV and I got a "lazy, stupid liberal" response complaining about the poisons used in PV production. Don't buy an LED TV, it's basically the same stuff!

The Koch rhetoric really has people running into the sea like lemmings. A 'scientist' writing anti Climate Change papers for a price of 1.2 million recently got caught. These are really horrible people who made 9 billion last year, the more they make the more they control.
"Friends of Natural Gas" are people who want the super wealthy to control their money and their government, don't get me started!

Rob
Robaroni is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robaroni For This Useful Post:
NeilBlanchard (05-17-16)
Old 05-25-16, 04:26 PM   #17
greenmachin
Lurking Renovator

Sad that the real world is still controlled by Neanderthals. Who knows, if I had that kind of dough, maybe I would turn my back on humanity too . . . ummmm probably not.
greenmachin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-16, 10:20 PM   #18
Maury
Lurking Renovator

I thought libertarians support letting Mr Market make the decisions through the actions of all the players, wit the idea that the distributed intellect is superior to isolated decision-makers. Maybe they didn't read that part of the book. Or it could be that they're hypocrites. But with Europe moving (even further) away from oil, the US will need to go that way in order to remain competitive.

Maury is offline   Reply With Quote