EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-30-13, 09:26 PM   #1
Sebastianebilly
Lurking Renovator

Default How to get solar power continuously and without any interrupt?

Gas prices are bound to increase , I think will never come below $4. Only solar power is the guaranteed clean,affordable ,low prices alternative option.Only problem is it is not available at all time, Can we build a system that can be placed above the clouds and supply us the solar energy on the ground continuously? Any thoughts?

Sebastianebilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-13, 10:19 PM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Batteries would be cheaper, there is a TED talk about a large scale salt based battery that sounds really promising, they end up being huge and heavy but also cheap.
Otherwise Lead Acid batteries work well and if you over size them they will last 20 years or more.
As a country we've also gotten to a point where our demand has not been increasing in the last few years, we still have peek demand times, but those match up with peek production from solar.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-13, 07:38 AM   #3
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Some people who are smarter than me can explain how tidal and wind power both are caused by the energy of the sun. That said, unless there is a way to have something like a satellite that stays in the same position relative to the sun and not the earth and can transmit power without a physical connection, it will be double tough to accomplish.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-13, 02:05 PM   #4
Blue Bomber Man
Lurking Renovator

@Gasstingy

Wind and tidal receive energy from the sun do to heating convectional processes.

With wind, air gets heated up near the ground and rises. Mainly due to uneven heating and the Coriolis effect weather systems form and climatic regions take shape.

Tidal is more of a grey area. The sun heats the ocean and creates convection currents. Wind and atmospheric pressure differences cause higher then usual tides. But tidal energy as a whole is probably mostly gravitational energy (this will sound far fetch, but it is not) extracted from the moons slowly declining orbit. Wave power however I would guess is more solar induced then gravimetric.

Regarding satellite power. You could send a satellite into a solar synchronous orbit that could transmit a minuscule amount of power to the earth via microwave transmitter to an earth bound receiver. More then likely it would be better to use a low earth orbit satellite for this function, gyros would keep the panels and transmitter aligned as needed. The panels would also receive much more energy then they would on a rooftop. I doubt this would ever be economically feasible, though with technology it already can be done (and technically already is when a satellite communicates with earth). If mining the moon or asteroids ever becomes feasible then this sort of tech might become viable since the resources would not need to be launched.
Blue Bomber Man is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blue Bomber Man For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (01-31-13)
Old 02-13-13, 04:02 PM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Heat water during the day for use at night

Traditionally it's done with a large storage tank and lots of hotwater collectors.

I'm storing a little PV Solar power as heat in water.
I'm using my 800w PV array to help heat water in my 40 gallon hot water heater.
It's main heat source is the A7 AirTap (ASHP).

I've been logging power use and weather data on the A7 for almost 2 weeks, (Kill-A-Watt meter)
and even with poor solar conditions, the PV seems to be helping supply hotwater.

Today it was partly cloudy around here, but saw an interesting 'cloud-edge' effect.
The power out of my 800W array suddenly increased to over 1 KW for 15 or 20 seconds.
Then it dropped back down to 700s range.

Maybe I'm going to need a bigger fuse in the PV box...
Old 03-01-13, 06:48 AM   #6
scottharrison
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastianebilly View Post
Gas prices are bound to increase , I think will never come below $4. Only solar power is the guaranteed clean,affordable ,low prices alternative option.Only problem is it is not available at all time, Can we build a system that can be placed above the clouds and supply us the solar energy on the ground continuously? Any thoughts?
I must say, Solar power is the conversion of sunlight into electricity. I just want to clarify, how to get solar power continuously and without any interrupt? How would it affect?
scottharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13, 07:37 AM   #7
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Actually, tides are caused by the moon orbiting the earth. So, the sun is indirectly involved. Geothermal is from the latent heat left over from when the earth formed and from flexing and movement of the earth's crust, and probably other effects, too.

But most renewable energy all come from the sun's energy; directly or indirectly. Wind tends to increase at night, and biomass energy can be used at various times, and wave and tidal power are pretty consistent. Windy areas (like from Texas all the way up to the Dakotas, and off both coasts) are very consistent. Solar peaks when electricity use peaks.

If Germany can do it, we here in the US can do it much more easily.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
gasstingy (03-01-13), Ryland (03-02-13)
Old 03-01-13, 09:50 AM   #8
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Solar powered off-grid homes have used batteries to provide continuous power. Size the battery for your load and you are set.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-13, 08:30 PM   #9
OffGridKindaGuy
Hi-Tech Hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to OffGridKindaGuy

Shop around and you can find PV for around $1/watt. I paid $5/watt 12 years ago..

Currently, batteries are the only way to store power reasonably. I looked at Ultracapacitors but it would take a bunch of 'um..

Keep your power consumption low and it's very doable. I survive comfortably on 512 watts of PV and 4-6 volt golf cart batteries.. (Total 12 v.d.c. System)
Old 03-04-13, 03:07 PM   #10
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Here's an excellent account of a small solar PV system with a homegrown battery storage system:

http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/...t-solar-setup/

NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote