EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Product Reviews
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-14, 04:48 PM   #1
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Default Door gasket / seal review

I bought 5 new door seals at home depot “Frost King E/O 1 in. x 7 ft. White Vinyl Clad Foam Kerf Door Seal”
Frost King E/O 1 in. x 7 ft. White Vinyl Clad Foam Kerf Door Seal-DS7W/25 at The Home Depot

This is did not work well at all it is better than what I had but not very thick or wide enough.

I went to Lowes and bought 1 “M-D Building Products 1-in x 6-ft 9-in White Vinyl Clad Foam Door Weatherstrip”
Shop M-D Building Products 1-in x 6-ft 9-in White Vinyl Clad Foam Door Weatherstrip at Lowes.com
This is good stuff ¼ “ wider than the other stuff even know the same size is stated.

It is also thicker. I will be replacing all the ones I bought from home depot with this product.

In the pictures first one the top one is from Lowes (M-D Building Products ) the second picture the one the top one is from home depot (Frost King).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ds.jpg
Views:	5229
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	3899   Click image for larger version

Name:	DS2.jpg
Views:	4006
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	3900  

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-21-14 at 04:57 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (01-22-14)
Old 01-22-14, 07:56 AM   #2
Minimac
Lurking Renovator

It's too bad you have to do it twice, but thanks for sharing.
Minimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 08:36 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Something that has been suggested here before is magnetic door seals similar to what your fridge door has. It almost guarantees a good seal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 10:28 AM   #4
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I usually buy stuff at Lowes first because I get a 5% discount but Home Depot had magnetic door seals and Lowes did have them. When I got there they had some but they were in terrible shape. They really were not usable so I bought the Frost King seals.

The M-D Building Products ones are sealing well it was windy yesterday and I had air coming through the door until I put in the new seal and it did a good job.

If you have steel doors it probably is hard to beat magnetic door seals. Does anybody have a good brand they recommend?

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-22-14 at 10:41 AM..
Old 01-22-14, 10:37 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

BTW, thanks for post this! It reminded me that I could definitely benefit by replacing mine. Mine are kind of crushed, non-magnetic ones. I'll have to do a review of what I find at the store.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-14, 04:20 PM   #6
RobbMeeX
Eco OWNER!!

Please do, I'm going to add this to my Reno thread.
Old 01-27-14, 09:44 PM   #7
warmwxrules
Helper EcoRenovator

I tried using some of that tape backed epdm sealing on a garage door. Horrible. The stuff just falls off when it gets cold. I guess i should have known better. I'll be interested in any other thoughts, comments, reviews because I have a few doors that need some help. I also still have a slider that is covered in poly (non useable) because it leaks air so bad.
warmwxrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:29 AM   #8
lt190b
Lurking Renovator

MD building products has (or had) a door seal called jamb up weather strip kit. In the past I have used these on wood jamb exterior doors. They worked well.
lt190b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-14, 09:35 AM   #9
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I just bought M-D Building Products 01610 Beige Magnetic Weather Stripping For Steel Doors –
M-D Building Products 01610 Beige Magnetic Weather Stripping For Steel Doors #0029926 at HardwareAndTools.com

Hopefully this weekend I will be installing them and I will post pictures and a review.
One big issue is some of my doors closer at the top than the bottom and the bottom is too far for the seal to work.
Old 05-16-20, 11:38 AM   #10
Wanna Beco
Helper EcoRenovator

Any updates? After 6 years?? LOL Asking because I am tacking this now. Never even new magnetic was possible. What magnets are used on the door?

Wanna Beco is offline   Reply With Quote