EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-19-15, 10:58 PM   #32
RB855
Helper EcoRenovator

Not to take bloody forever to finish a project, but things have once again occurred in development. Discovered that the evaporator between a heatpump and straight cool model differed. The heatpump coil, which I was using, had the suction coming off the air downstream of the coil, which was not very good at extracting all the available superheat. The a/c version has the suction on the front of the coil, allowing higher coil capacities as the superheat could be set much lower. So of course, I changed the coil. Fixed my txv hunting issues and increased system capacity. I achieved almost the same btu at 54*F ambient, as I was getting before in the mid 70s! Also got to play with my new gauges to very accurately setup superheat and subcooling. I have also learned the value of a proper vacuum. My previous equipment was old and mal-cared for, and in no way or form could pull an acceptable vac below 4-5000 microns. Fast forward to good cared for equipment, it took forever to get down to 300 microns, as the system had previously uncaptured air and moisture in it. Took a lot of heating of the drier and compressor to get it to stop off gassing moisture. I have also made an attempt at organizing and documenting the experience in a proper photo album, for your viewing pleasure! Still using the same old server that can be a little slow, so give it a moment.

Its been a rough year, so any project development was pretty much halted. I'm taking a more Me Time centric approach to this year as it seemed like everyone else owned more of me than I did, so hopefully things will start progressing again. Losing track of your life, a little hospital time, and a couple major disasters changes your outlook on things, let me tell ya.

Last edited by RB855; 01-19-15 at 11:07 PM..
RB855 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RB855 For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (01-20-15)

Tags
diy, heatpump water heater, hpwh