EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Wind Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-13, 08:12 AM   #1
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Hornet sc60 wind turbine on clear blades

I have recently fitted one of these to replace my 48 volt 1kw Futurenergy turbine. Results so far are better than the FE unit, even though the swept area is smaller (60 inches vs 72 inches). I think this is down to a non-furling tail and less cog resistance on the generator. There are 10 clear hornet polycarbonate blades on this, which eliminate shadow flicker completely. To stop them becoming a giant magnifying glass, a mist coat of grey primer spray paint was applied to the back of the blades. The SC60 has put out over a kilowatt in a 35mph wind, and because the turbine starts making power at just 60rpm, it makes some power in the 10mph winds. The SC60 is charging my 48 volt system and was chosen with the 10 blade hub as most of the time the wind is in the low speed 15-45mph range. It has been known to hit 75mph, but only in bad weather. I have a 'watts up' meter connected to it as a crude data logger. I will go down the usb pc monitoring route, as I already have the pc tracking all power use from the grid.
The manufacturer has had his turbine flying in 100mph+ winds with no problems. These are designed to spin the blades at 2000rpm, but the generator will run at 18,000 rpm!

nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-13, 09:28 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Do you have any pictures of the new turbine? Sounds like its working out quite well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 01:57 PM   #3
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Clear blade pictures

Turbine pictures.

This is mounted on my roof, which is a 3 storey building. One side has nothing in the way, as it is towards the river. In winter, when the solar output is low, the wind comes in from the river at anything from 15 mph to 75 mph. Spring winds are fairly constant at 25 mph. The rest of the time the solar makes way more per day, but then that's the beauty of a hybrid system. It is all supported on 2" scaffold tube with heavy duty rubber naval engine mounts, which make a huge improvement to the generator cogging noise that would normally be transmitted through the structure.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20130531_180626.jpg
Views:	3053
Size:	485.9 KB
ID:	3211   Click image for larger version

Name:	20130531_180636.jpg
Views:	3708
Size:	487.8 KB
ID:	3212  

Last edited by Daox; 05-31-13 at 02:12 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to nexsuperne For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-31-13)
Old 05-31-13, 02:33 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Looks really cool haha.

How much power does the turbine normally make in ~25 mph winds?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-13, 03:25 PM   #5
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Looks really cool haha.

How much power does the turbine normally make in ~25 mph winds?
Roughly 800 watts
The Following User Says Thank You to nexsuperne For This Useful Post:
Daox (05-31-13)
Old 06-06-13, 08:02 AM   #6
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Looks great, thanks for mentioning the rubber mount(s) keeping the vibration noises low inside the structure. I was curious about that.

I live in an area with poor wind resource, but if we had the wind resource, I'm sure something like this could easily be done after about 5 years of arguing with the naysayers for permission to do something as extreme as this.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 08:46 AM   #7
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Average wind speed in the United States is 11mph a good site is 13mph.

Swept area is the collector size because once the turbine is spinning moving air doesn't sneak between the blades, it just goes around them if there is to much energy being extracted.
The advantage of more blades is higher torque in low wind for things like pumping water.

If you removed half of your blades I'm pretty sure you'd see your power output increase.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-13, 01:10 PM   #8
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Can you give us some pics, details and sources for your naval mounts? Sounds like a great way to eliminate the noise problems with a structure mounted generator.
Old 06-12-13, 03:56 PM   #9
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryland View Post
Average wind speed in the United States is 11mph a good site is 13mph.

Swept area is the collector size because once the turbine is spinning moving air doesn't sneak between the blades, it just goes around them if there is to much energy being extracted.
The advantage of more blades is higher torque in low wind for things like pumping water.

If you removed half of your blades I'm pretty sure you'd see your power output increase.
I will try that tomorrow. I can run either 2,5 or 10 blades with this hub and still maintain balance.
Old 06-13-13, 08:53 AM   #10
Mobile Master Tech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Wax those clear plastic blades with automotive wax/protectant like Meguiar's Gold Class to keep them looking like that. Most people don't realize that car wheels and plastic lenses need UV and surface protection just like the paint does. Ever notice how many cars with plastic headlights have fogged/yellowed lenses?

The Following User Says Thank You to Mobile Master Tech For This Useful Post:
RobbMeeX (07-22-13)