EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-10, 08:58 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Bloom Energy (fuel cells)

I caught a segment on 60 minute the other night. It was about a fuel cell being developed that can utilize a fossil/bio fuel to produce electricity. They really didn't say much at all about it, but it is an interesting idea. More efficient than a traditional generator? I can only assume yes. The guy developing them apparently was working for NASA before the program he was working on was canceled. He was working on a power source for creating oxygen on Mars...

Anyway, if anyone else know anything about them its sure to be interesting?

Bloom Energy | Be the solution

In any case, it appears there is a count down to something on their site. I didn't catch the entire segment on TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 02-22-10 at 09:02 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 07:29 PM   #2
mincus
Helper EcoRenovator

I saw this as well, and it definitely caught my eye. Here's the full video:

The Bloom Box: a power plant for the home (video) -- Engadget

Apparently they can get an efficiency of around 60% from the natural gas going in. They are hoping that in 5 to 10 years, they can get one of these boxes in every home for around $3,000.

I wasn't too sure, but they do have some big customers: wal mart, ebay, google, etc.

They talk to the ebay CEO, who says the five bloom boxes they put in 9 months ago have already saved them $100,000 in electricity costs.

The countdown refers to a big announcement that is supposed to come tomorrow. Apparently, they've been quite secretive in their technology thus far, but are bringing the bloom box to the world tomorrow. We shall see.
mincus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 06:37 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Here is a short article on the bloom box briefly describing it. I wonder how they say it on solar power... That doesn't make sense considering its a fuel cell. As far as I know, all fuel cells take fuel1 + fuel2 = electricity. Solar isn't a fuel they use as far as I know.

Kiss the Grid Goodbye: Power Your Home with a Bloom Box!

Anyway, how would you like one of these in your back yard if it meant saving energy? I wouldn't mind at all I don't think.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bloombox.JPG
Views:	595
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	638  

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-10, 10:27 AM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

hydrogen fuel cells can both make and use hydrogen as they are basically part of a battery, but I don't think these can work like that as they are a high temp fuel cell.
I think we are still going to use the grid for evening out loads, but if you have a fuel cell like this in your house (waste heat heating your house and hot water) then that 60% efficient fuel cell is going to be much better then the 50% efficient natural gas turbines that have losses in the power lines, sub stations, transformer that is out at the street.
so we should use wind and solar where we can, but when it's not meeting the demand then your home fuel cell should kick in.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote