EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Wind Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-09, 10:54 AM   #1
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Default xcel energy offering wind power option in more states.

When I bought my house 8 months ago my power company to tell them that I wanted to buy wind produced electricity from them, they informed me that they (xcel energy) did not offer that option in Wisconsin because they did not have enough production, they are required to produce a percentage of their electricity from renewables (10% I think) and if they have an offer like this to guarantee that 100% of what you are using is from renewables then their production has to be enough above that 10% number, when I called to ask about wind power 8 months ago I did ask if I could have it recorded that I requested the wind power option and it sounds like th,ey did that because with my last bill was an information sheet on buying wind power at an added cost of $1.15 per 100kwhs, basicly adding $0.0115 on to each of my KWH I use each month rounded up to the nearest 100kwh... but even at that it would only add around $60 per year to my total bill, about $5 per month, allowing me to put a "charged by the wind" sticker on my electric car, and the knolage that my electrical usage is being off set by wind turbines spinning some where in Minnesota.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 06:25 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Thats good to hear Ryland. I do the same thing. I know some people don't like the idea since its all on the same grid, but it at least shows people are willing to pay something more for clean energy.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 07:38 AM   #3
mincus
Helper EcoRenovator

I do the same thing....called the Pure Power program through our electric company. I believe the rate is very similar $.015 per kWh. They basically buy renewable energy credits equivalent to the energy I consume. When I signed up I think there were around 5,000 other households in the STL area that were also enrolled.

If nothing else, at least it shows my support for renewable energy.
mincus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-09, 12:59 PM   #4
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

The only way for a power company to keep up with demand on something like this is to keep ahead of demand, so the more people ask for something like renewable energy from their power company the more they invest in it, sure it doesn't look like they are doing much other then charging you more but that is only because you can't sort out electrons.

Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote