EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-15, 10:56 AM   #91
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

To night will be a test. A low temperature forecast of -22 Deg C.

Randen

randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 03:47 PM   #92
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I wish your previous monster would have lived longer. I loved the stainless steel basket and the custom adjustable txv. It had that unique look to it.

Stay warm, sir.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 06:34 PM   #93
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Keep that pump running. I hate freeze ups, haha
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-15, 07:29 PM   #94
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Spent some time today on enhancing the controls. The 5 ton is now sporting the safety switches.
1/ If the H/P losses it's charge of refrigerant it will stop.
2/ If it, for some reason like a freeze=up and the high side goes ballistic it will stop.
3/ If I get liquid causing a freeze=up, the cold control will also limit out and stop.

I can't believe, it took all day!!??

Hopefully I've cover all the bases there.

Now the next beautiful thing is some new relays operating zone valves, circulation pumps and compressor. The two zones are the office in-floor heating and the shop air handler. These two zones operate at different temperatures sensed with separate thermostats. The office floor about 28 Deg C and the shop air temp 18 Deg C.

Its -10 Deg. C. O/S air temp at 8:20 pm The shop had actually cooled off more from the weekend set back temp and me having it turned off for the day rewiring. Just started it up at a shop temp of 8 Deg. C. and office floor at 7 Deg. C.

Bring on the -22 Deg. C. I'm ready

Tonight I think I'll let the office floor warm up and leave the shop to start up at 6:00 am. All about saving a few bucks.

Last edited by randen; 01-12-15 at 07:31 PM..
Old 01-13-15, 11:21 AM   #95
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default 5 Ton purring away

AC Hacker and others

We have heat. The temp this morn. was -22 Deg. C. The office floor temp had risen to the set back temp of 15 Deg. The shop I left off and I had decided to start it this morn as I started work, BURRRR. Shop dropped to 4 Deg. C but by lunch 12 Deg. C. Tolerable. After 2-3 more hrs. and the shop will hit 18 Deg.C Costing about $4.45 in Electrical cost.

I did have a problem with the one original relay it was well used out of my parts box. It had a burnt contact and had been intermitted which caused a little grief. E-bay came through with some very nice relays as well I had installed some varistors to help reduce the contact arcing from motor induction. The controller will need some tie-wraps and neatening but another day. The DIY heat-pump is operating so nicely. The independent control of the office floor and shop temp in conjunction with the thermostats set at the appropriate temps. Nice.

My mind went to thinking Hmm almost time for a cover to finish the machine off.!!!

The sun is shining full bore would have been nice to have the other facet of the project operational. Even without the cover sheet the copper riser fin is quite warm. "No wind"

Randen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3140.jpg
Views:	1631
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	4933   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3141.jpg
Views:	1190
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	4934   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3144.jpg
Views:	1083
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	4935   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3145.jpg
Views:	1104
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	4936  

Last edited by Daox; 01-14-15 at 07:33 AM..
Old 01-13-15, 07:22 PM   #96
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Where are you getting your relays? I usually buy 20 at at time (omron LY2 series) at about $7 US ea. I don't get any real arcing issues with them.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-15, 06:42 PM   #97
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Its been dam cold and windy the last few weeks. The DIY GSHP has been putting out the BTUs. The unit has been keeping the shop comfy. Three months in and the electric bill has revealed some idea of costs. Depending on month and climate $90.00 and max $160.00/month as I compare KWHs to time before heat-pumps. I'm happy with that. Worst case could put us around $700.00 per heating season. The cost of electrical energy increased but its very much better than what the oilman had been doing.

Randen
The Following User Says Thank You to randen For This Useful Post:
AC_Hacker (01-29-15)
Old 03-05-15, 09:02 AM   #98
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

It has been a rough winter for all of us in the midwest and northeast. SE MI record the second coldest February on record. (I think there were only 3-4 days at or above "average" temperatures.)

Refresh my memory on the size of your ground loop and have you been tracking/recording the inlet and outlet water temperatures ?
theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-15, 09:45 AM   #99
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Cold vortex and loop temp.

Its been dam cold here in Southwestern Ontario much the same air mass as Michigan. The heat-pump has been working real hard. The shop is kept at 18 Deg. C.

You are right the loop field is cold inlet 3.2 Deg. C. and returning 1.9 Deg. C.

With all the wind and a leaky shop the electric bill is quiet something even though I have a economical heating method.

Really glad I'm not with the oil-man

Randy
Old 03-05-15, 10:45 AM   #100
theoldwizard1
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
You are right the loop field is cold inlet 3.2 Deg. C. and returning 1.9 Deg. C.
Is that within your "design" specs ? I would think that anything above 4C would be a good "target".

Some recent research I have done shows that ground water temperature below about 10m is constant all year. What is your experience ?

What size is your loop ? Horizontal or vertical ? If vertical, how many and what diameter are your bore holes ?

theoldwizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote