Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-31-10, 03:25 PM   #11
mikegdow
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tasdbois View Post
I built my garage with a 5 foot basement underneath. I have 8x8 inches opennings in each corners. I have two fans pulling air inside the basement from the garage and two fans pushing out from the basement into the garage. I'll see what I can get out of it this winter.
Where is your garage and what temperature do you have in your garage basement?

mikegdow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 02:37 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Well, I was talking with my wife this weekend while doing some yard work and she mentioned she really wants to move our garden. This (while being a fair amount of work) might make the perfect opportunity to setup some solar hot air or water panels.

In the picture below, the green square represents the current garden. The yellow represents the possible location for the solar hot air (perhaps water) panels. The tree interfering with the corner of the garden has since been cut down. However, I'll still need to do a solar site analysis to see if that location is at all viable. It might only work during the winter with the leaves off the trees. This would sway me to make some cheap hot air panels. However, if I can get good sun year round, I would probably want to go with hot water panels and integrate them into the house for domestic hot water. The site analysis will tell.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	garagesolar.jpg
Views:	1716
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1020  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 05:00 PM   #13
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

That big open space to the right hand side should be garden. All of it would be my choice but I'm known to go over the top with my garden plans.

What is the reason for moving the garden? if it's crappy soil then it probably makes sense to use that spot for solar collecting. If it's lack of light then the site analysis will be key. I've had gardens work out in places that had nowhere near enough sun to make solar hot water or hot air feasible.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-10, 08:15 PM   #14
Daox
Administrator

I think the soil is good there. I'll probably end up moving a lot of the soil to the new location. The sunlight is alright, but the new location gets a lot more sun. She originally wanted to keep both locations, however now is just wanting the one.

&
Old 11-02-10, 02:21 AM   #15
bradford108
Lurking Renovator

The rocket stove type heater idea sounds fantastic. It insulates the garage and gets you to provide community service for your neighbors by clearing their deadfall.
bradford108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 08:11 AM   #16
Daox
Administrator

There are definitely pluses and minuses to each options. The wood option gives me heat when I need it no matter what, and it can provide more heat at once than solar. However, the solar option is much cleaner, less work since it would be fully automatic and I don't have to collect & dry wood, and its lower maintenance. If I hand the choice, I'd probably go solar.

&
Old 11-02-10, 10:44 AM   #17
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I've thought about a few of these same things for my house.

I like the solar shed idea. Also rocket-stoves work great, and are very simple technology.

Another thing you might want to consider is a gasifier. It's more complicated than a rocket stove, but burn REALLY CLEAN, create no waste but charcoal, (which has its own uses) and is real easy to connect to a boiler or other hot water system.

If you use solar hot water panels AND a gasifier - you could design a hybrid system where either/both heat water (antifreeze) that heats your garage.

The solar panels should keep your garage at a temperature level much nicer than the out of doors, and the gasifier could be run while you are working out there.

I know some folks doing pretty cool things with gasifiers. I can introduce you to them if you are interested.

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-10, 11:08 AM   #18
Daox
Administrator

Besides burning cleaner, what benefit do gasifiers have?

&
Old 11-02-10, 11:53 AM   #19
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

They are very efficient - they make more heat for the same number of pounds of wood compared to other types of wood heaters.

They can easily run on what would otherwise be "waste" products, such as wood chips.

Wood chips or pellets are sort of the most popular fuel. If you use a more or less "standardized" wood chip size, you can somewhat automate the gasifier, such as having an auger automatically feed in fuel.

They are easy to integrate with hot water systems.

They can create synthesis gas, which can be used for other uses, such as cooking or running an internal combustion engine, as generator might use.

They are very safe - everything is sort of self-contained - minimal moving parts, open flame, etc.

Old 11-02-10, 10:18 PM   #20
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

I may have a lead on a wood-burning boiler and some used solar panels.

Those could be combined to create a hybrid system.

Daox, get looking for a hot tub. You will need some place to put all that hot water in the summer!