EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-12, 02:07 PM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Some Recent Passive House Webinars...

I came across some recent Passive House Webinars, or actually recordings of those webinars.
  • Optimizing Passive House for North America (79 mins)
  • Air Sealing and Building Science and High Perfromance Envelope Materials (101 mins)
  • Managing Condensation, Water Intrusion, and Energy in the Real World 5-19-12 (91 mins)

This videos offer a fairly painless and cheap way to become familiar with Passive House ideas and approaches.

The videos were found AT THIS URL, so there may be more in the future.

On a related topic, I have found a useful on-line program that will allow me to capture streaming video for future viewing, or archiving. I'm sure that there are other ways to do the same thing, but this is working well for me. Some of this content in the above videos is worth seeing more than once.

Best,

-AC

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	no-ads.gif
Views:	999
Size:	3.6 KB
ID:	2392  

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 06-22-12 at 02:13 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 06:34 PM   #2
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

Thanks for the videos, since they are the length of full-length feature films at over an hour each, I'll probably get a chance to finish them all in the middle of next week and post about them.

I have them downloading using the Firefox Download helper extension(works great and very easy to use) and I watch longer videos with VLC player because I can watch at whatever speed I want and can skip forward and back very easily to skip parts that are obvious or chatter and back up for important points or segments that I want to get a replay of since the YT viewer gets a bit tough/clunky with long videos.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-12, 09:47 AM   #3
PHAUS
Lurking Renovator

Default Passive House Webinars

Hello EcoRenovator Community,

THis is Mark Miller. I am the Interim Executive Director of the Passive House Alliance United States. The videos this thread has stumbled on to, our from our National Webinar Series. PHAUS has 10 chapters in major US cities around the country, and members in just about every state in the nation. We are a community of high performance building architects, builders, energy raters and supporters of bringing the Passive House Standard into the mainstream US building market. I invite you to join us and receive weekly newsletters with the latest high performance building news and passive house stories; enjoy several webinars a month; browse our members only area resource library and be connected to a great community of cutting edge professionals and supporters.

Our 7th Annual North American Passive House Conference is being held Sept. 28-30 in Denver, CO. Google to Visit our website Passive House Alliance - United States to learn more about passive house and our growing alliance.
PHAUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 12:13 PM   #4
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Videos: MODIFIED SWEDISH FRAMING SYSTEM

In the above PHIUS video titled, "Air Sealing and Building Science and High Perfromance Envelope Materials", there is mention of an architect, Greg La Vardera, who studied Swedish high-performance housing construction, and has adapted the Swedish techniques to US materials.

...a bit of searching turned up several interesting videos by the above mentioned architect:

MODIFIED SWEDISH FRAMING SYSTEM

Interesting stuff... makes standard construction seem a bit medieval.

-AC_Hacker
Old 07-05-12, 12:49 PM   #5
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

I ended up watching these videos. Very good content but I wish the liquid-applied water/air sealing technology video had the slides working properly because that would have made things much easier to watch. Seems like a great idea and I agree that foam is not always as well sealed as you think it is, I found that foam doesn't always stick as well as you figured it might after its applied. I found that spots where I foamed around wood came loose, not sure how but it didn't seem to stick well for some reason even though its impossible to get off of anything else.
Old 07-05-12, 01:25 PM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN Renovator View Post
I found that foam doesn't always stick as well as you figured it might after its applied. I found that spots where I foamed around wood came loose, not sure how but it didn't seem to stick well for some reason even though its impossible to get off of anything else.
I suspect that dust might be one reason. The foam adheres well to a dust layer, and the dust layer pulls easily away.

Might be a good idea to use compressed air prior to foam.

BTW, these new videos have very good video & audio quality.

-AC

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 07-05-12 at 06:20 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-12, 02:14 PM   #7
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

After watching the four videos about Swedish building technique, I'd have to say that I really like how the Swedish are doing things. It seems to be like a much better way to do it even in comparison to the offset and inset double 2x4 24" on-center method that I've seen adopted here. I'm surprised they are using rock wool instead of dense packing cellulose in those cavities.

I also noticed the vapor barrier is still there, it seems the more I dig into building that getting rid of a plastic vapor barrier is ideal and am wondering if they will end up going that route, which would require them dropping the spun insulation materials like rock wool and fiberglass. I'm wondering what their opinion is on that.