EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-17, 09:17 PM   #1
AnetteO
Lurking Renovator

Default Green Insulation Types

What have you guys found to be the greenest insulation types? There is conflicting information about fiberglass online. It's one of the most used types, but some say it poses health risks. Others argue that it is recyclable and therefore, green.

Is there an insulation type that is universally recognized as eco-friendly?

Thanks!

AnetteO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 08:43 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

IMO cellulose is pretty eco-friendly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 08:58 AM   #3
oil pan 4
Land owner

Spray foam makes a structure more air tight.

So you want environmentally friendly insulation or the best insulation that will reduce fossil fuels use for heating the most?
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-17, 11:30 AM   #4
AnetteO
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for your replies and suggestions. I was really meaning something that isn't harmful to the environment to produce, but both points are important.
Old 11-17-17, 03:18 PM   #5
oil pan 4
Land owner

If the insulation is going to be used for 30 to 50 years environmental impact of its creation is nothing compared to burning more fuel for that entire time.
Old 11-17-17, 03:27 PM   #6
AnetteO
Lurking Renovator

Thanks; that's a really valid point! Spray foam is what you'd recommend?
Old 11-17-17, 08:37 PM   #7
oil pan 4
Land owner

Spray foam us kind of a double edge sword.
It can actually seal up a building too well when applied to everything on a wood frame building.
I say at least use the $5 spray can around doors and windows minimum to seal up gaps.
You should be able to do interior walls with spray foam if you want some sound deadening between room.
Spray foaming roofing may not be ideal. I would only do it under a metal roof.
The way I have done it on exterior walls I always put fiberglass between the window to floor. Just assume it's going to get wet, fiber glass won't rot and it can breath a little. I always use pressure treated around windows and doors. If the window is tucked nicely up under the eve I will spray foam up to the window or door frame. If the window or door is exposed by a high roof line I will fiberglass one stud out on both sides of the windows and doors incase it gets wet, which it will.
I spray foam around all exterior light junction boxes, it seals out the wind and bugs.

If your structure is all masonry, spray it by the truck load since it's already sealed up like a tomb and probably very water tight.
Old 12-05-17, 07:56 PM   #8
AnetteO
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for all the info and detailed advice! I will take this into consideration.
Old 12-06-17, 11:30 AM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Another disadvantage of spray foam is the sealing action and complete filling of cavities. If you ever want to renovate, the electric and plumbing runs are sealed in a solid block of foam. It's not impossible to work on the stuff inside the block, but it should be considered as a permanent component that cannot be modified after being sprayed. For this reason, most contractors do not completely fill up wall cavities.

Blown in cellulose insulation is very close in performance to spray foam insulation inside cavities. The difference between the two depends on how stringent your requirements and specs are. Spray foam is absolutely a vapor barrier, where cellulose is somewhat of a vapor barrier. When properly applied, spray foam absolutely does not breathe, or allow any infiltration of air, where cellulose allows a miniscule amount of air and vapor to pass through. With enough pressure applied, cellulose will breathe 50 to 60 percent more air than spray foam. This relates to 0.2 air changes per hour vs 0.3, so 50 percent more than nearly nothing is still almost nearly nothing.

Probably the three most important factors to consider are fire safety, cost, and "eco-greenness". Cellulose is a winner by a landslide in all three categories. Cellulose is classified as a fire retardant material, where spray foam requires a fire barrier around it (because it can burn violently and release toxic vapors). Spray foam costs two to three times the price of cellulose, plus you get a cavity that is not completely filled (which short changes you from some insulating value). On the eco-friendly green factor, cellulose is 85 to 90 percent recycled paper, where spray foam is 100 percent refined petroleum.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-17, 01:05 PM   #10
Just One More
Helper EcoRenovator

I chose rock wool for my attics. Much safer for humans and a better fire and sound suppressant.

Just One More is offline   Reply With Quote