EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-20-14, 03:32 AM   #1
flx
Lurking Renovator

Default dehumidifier converted to heat pump

ive separated the two fin tube radiators so that the compressor and the hot radiator is inside the house where the original fan blows heat.the cold finned tube radiator sits outside the house where I added a fan to it to pull outdoor air through it and extract heat.the anti- frost sensor has been removed so the unit will frost up which is my problem at times.I have some different schemes for defrosting the outdoor radiator and all suggestions are welcomed.
I would like to be able to turn off the indoor fan which is part of the compressor but it seems that if I disconnect the wiring to the fan the compressor won't run and I would like to be able to deliver heat from the indoor radiator to the outdoor radiator so to defrost it...thanks for any suggestions , the unit is old and runs on freon 12 refrigerant

flx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-14, 08:02 AM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Welcome to the forums!

This problem is the first you are likely to encounter when hacking any type of phase change unit. If you are not planning on running the unit in outdoor temperature approaching freezing, you can get away with letting the evaporator coil defrost naturally. Just wire the defrost sensor in close to the compressor inlet. Let the outdoor fan run with the thermostat and the indoor fan run with the compressor.

With this type of rig, the warmish outdoor air will fairly quickly defrost the evaporator coil once the compressor stops. With the indoor fan not running, the warm refrigerant will stay warm and flow into the evaporator, aiding in opening an air path in the frozen coil.

All this stops working as outdoor temps drop close to or below freezing. A new challenge presents itself: forced defrost.

Last edited by jeff5may; 10-20-14 at 10:58 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-14, 12:43 PM   #3
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

try more outdoor fan power to help stave off frost collection for a while longer and to speed the defrosting
Mo fan ! it sure as sheet can't hurt (look for a free one)

Also You could put the defrost sensor on the evaporator/ outdoor radiator in such a manner as you can have a bit more control over when it defrosts, place it where it will not frost over early , if that's what you want. You have officially got my 2 cents worth.

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-21-14 at 11:37 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote