EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-15, 02:01 PM   #31
Drake
DIY Guy

I am working like mad man to get a roof over the structure so I am either hauling materials or three stories off the ground. Taking pics though.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-13-15)
Old 11-04-15, 12:37 PM   #32
Drake
DIY Guy

Just wrapping up season two of construction, all above ground this year. I didn't get fully inclosed so I could temp heat and work inside for winter but I got the roof complete which was my priority to keep snow out. It is a lot easier to draw mitered corners, fancy angles and double wall construction on plans than to actually construct while taking time to minimize wood volume and construction details that allow for the maximum amount of broken thermal wood transfer without using SIP or other panel methods. 16 hr Days just aren't as productive at 60 as at 20 even if working smarter(I hope). Only window/door jams are unbroken wood from interior to exterior. Even sills and top plates, where used
have some thermal brake. Next season will be mostly mechanical, radiant floor heat, grid tie electrical, sew are and water. Basic construction plan is three walls double wall construction(W/N/E) and south wall single 2x8 as it is mostly window/door. All interior of unbroken vapor barrier will be 1.5" iso board "furred out" mechanical space before interior surface. Second pic is view from new addition, 20 yrs in the planning.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0117.jpg
Views:	622
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	6183   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0124.jpg
Views:	650
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	6184  

Last edited by Daox; 11-04-15 at 01:13 PM..
Daox (11-04-15)
Old 11-04-15, 12:42 PM   #33
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

looking good. That roof is a long way off the ground.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 01:15 PM   #34
Daox
Administrator

Looks real good. Beautiful view too!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-15, 06:02 PM   #35
Drake
DIY Guy

The roof has been one of the greatest personal engineering challenges of my construction experience. On the existing cabin I built trusses and raised them up on side with the aid of existing large trees in close proximity to building(than removed) and a number of family members 25 yrs ago. This time not close trees and most family far too old to be of safe assistance so I had to use another plan to do it mostly alone. I used a bipods and block/tackle to raise as temp reference beam in place(had some help with this) and then built a temp third floor from which to build trusses in place. Took much more time but the cost was one tenth th bids I got from builders and I can't find anyone that works cheaper than me,LOL. Once purlans where on trusses metal roofing is not hard except for the last pieces(and needed a modified extension ladder to complete). Some help pulling up 8' panels w/ropes was easy enough for the older friends to assist. Learned again the meaning of the saying "on a hot tin roof".

Daox (11-04-15)