EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-15, 08:55 AM   #1
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Cheap Garage Door Insulation

Since we finally got a cold snap down here in the South, I thought I would go ahead and insulate my garage door. My garage is the standard double garage with approximate dimensions of 7' x 15'. I used 1/2" Foil backed EPS Boards common at your big box hardware store. I also glued scrap pieces together (1" x 3" roughly) to create 1" thick sandwiches. I glued the sandwiches on all four corners of each board to maintain close to a 1" air gap between the boards and the garage door. Overall, this was a easy project and I am quite happy with the results. Here is a picture of the (almost) finished product:

If all things were perfect then I would be achieving an R of 3, which I know I am not. I do plan on putting boards on the garage panels around the windows, without covering the windows (I like my natural light too much), in the next couple of days, but I just didn't have time to get to it last night.

The total cost, not including glue, was just under $30 (which covers the entire garage door). The wife likes the aesthetics (big plus), the cost was right, and my garage seems warmer. This morning my thermometer read 12 deg F ambient and 35 deg F in the garage. I am looking forward to having a cooler garage in the summer since it is a Western facing garage door.

natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to natethebrown For This Useful Post:
Daox (03-19-15), deejaaa (04-12-15), ecomodded (02-19-15), gasstingy (02-20-15), JRMichler (02-22-15), Piwoslaw (03-19-15), Servicetech (04-11-15), stevehull (12-10-17)
Old 02-22-15, 03:43 PM   #2
JRMichler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I did something similar to the 16 foot door on my shop when I converted if from a garage. I used foil face polyisocyanurate insulation because it does not support combustion, and a shop is chock full of fire starters. Sawed it to width on a table saw, cut notches for the hinges, and glued the pieces on. I also glued some polyiso insulation to the header above the door.

The 24 X 26 shop has an estimated heat loss of 10,000 BTUH at 65 F inside and -20 F outside.
JRMichler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JRMichler For This Useful Post:
Piwoslaw (03-19-15), stevehull (12-10-17)
Old 02-23-15, 12:27 PM   #3
MarkM66
Helper EcoRenovator

Nice job. How many sides of your garage are attached to the house?

Reason I ask is my mother in law is always complaining about a cold garage. Only one side of her garage is attached to the house. She want's to insulate it, but I'm not sure if that's actually going to accomplish much, unless there's actually a heat supply to the house.
MarkM66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-15, 01:38 PM   #4
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkM66 View Post
Nice job. How many sides of your garage are attached to the house?

Reason I ask is my mother in law is always complaining about a cold garage. Only one side of her garage is attached to the house. She want's to insulate it, but I'm not sure if that's actually going to accomplish much, unless there's actually a heat supply to the house.
Two full walls. I have only been in the house since July, and boy did that garage heat up towards the end of the day! This is the first time I have experienced a winter in the house, so I really don't know what the bottom end temperature could be. My biggest motivation for insulating the garage was to reduce those extreme temperatures (both cold and hot) to keep my worms (vermicompost) healthy.

Since the ground temperatures in North Alabama never get below freezing, my concrete garage floor should always act as a radiator/heater to keep the garage temperature fairly normal. Since insulating, I have not seen a temperature below 35 degrees F (not bad!) when the outside temperatures were around 10 degrees. It could be me, but I feel like the heat load on the house was reduced slightly....
Old 03-19-15, 09:22 AM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Very nice job. I can't wait for the day when my garage is insulated...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-15, 12:46 PM   #6
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Did our double garage door last winter also. Made a 10 degree difference during the really cold weather. The heat from the parked car after driving was enough to melt the ice off the sides. It stayed frozen last winter.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-15, 11:06 AM   #7
deejaaa
Lurking Renovator

what are you guys using to glue them? I was thinking about tube silicone.
deejaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-15, 06:53 AM   #8
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaaa View Post
what are you guys using to glue them? I was thinking about tube silicone.
I didn't use any glue. I cut all the boards a bit over-sized and they fit tightly in each garage door panel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to natethebrown For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-13-15), deejaaa (04-13-15)
Old 12-10-17, 05:56 AM   #9
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may
Lightbulb

I just moved again. This time, the place is a house with a basement and a garage. We have been using the garage since before we moved in pretty much constantly. It will continue to be used in this manner for the foreseeable future until I figure out how and where to set up a separate workshop.

The garage has a standard double wide steel door on it and it is uninsulated. The weather has taken a turn towards winter the last week or so, and I need to get the thing to hold in some heat. The Mercury bottomed out around 15 degF last night, and the garage is hovering about 35 this morning. Actual temperature right now is 19 outside, 42 in the garage and 71 in the house. The garage shares one side wall with the house as well as the roof overhead. The garage has only the bay door and one entry door into the house. Not sure if or how well the rear and end walls are insulated yet, but the walls are finished with sheetrock and painted. So even if thearen't filled with insulation, I Know the exterior is osb, tyvek wrap, and vinyl siding.

I'm going at the low hanging fruit first, and right now the garage door is it. I'm not trying to spend hundreds of dollars to insulate the door. At the moment, I'm looking for information from those of you who have been there before. What to use, how to do it with a minimum of materials and labor involved. I am not looking for stellar insulating power, but anything is better than the thin flat conduction plate I have for a wall now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20171210_073230739.jpg
Views:	799
Size:	483.0 KB
ID:	8007  

Last edited by Daox; 12-11-17 at 03:08 PM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-17, 07:14 AM   #10
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
I'm going at the low hanging fruit first, and right now the garage door is it. I'm not trying to spend hundreds of dollars to insulate the door. At the moment, I'm looking for information from those of you who have been there before. What to use, how to do it with a minimum of materials and labor involved. I am not looking for stellar insulating power, but anything is better than the thin flat conduction plate I have for a wall now.
I would say go with these:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Common-0-75...lation/3365568
Mine were the 1/2" thick and are a little on the too flexible side.

They should be flexible enough to bend them into the cavities. You do not need glue to hold them in place, just oversize them by 1/4"-1/2" and they will hold themselves in place (I have yet to have a piece fall off my door in the two years since I did mine).

If your door is an 8'x16', you will need 6-8 pieces of foam. Since you are over-sizing the pieces to fit snug, you will end up having a decent bit of scrap leftover. For <$100 and ~2 hours worth of work, I doubt you will find anything better.
The Following User Says Thank You to natethebrown For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-11-17)