EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-11, 08:14 AM   #11
S-F
You Ain't Me

Yeah, but installing a drain could be a serious problem. Personally I don't do that stuff. I'm not into cutting into the main and screwing around with old lead solder.

Xringer, where'd you get that picture of me!?

S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 06:25 PM   #12
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I've seen "urinals" that were just tiled walls with tiled catch basins. You could get some used / scrap / cheap tiles and make up a little urinal that drained into a small bucket and then empty the bucket occasionally. How much can one little kid pee anyway.

To beat the odor, I was once told a little sugar in the bucket will deal with the scent. Certainly I've used a bucket while camping and the smell, when using the sugar trick, was inoffensive.

Peeing outside is a male right. Discretion, of course, being the better part of ...
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-11, 03:32 PM   #13
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Waterless urinals don't smell -- they seal the drain with a special fluid that lets the urine drain through but doesn't let the smell out. You replenish the fluid every 6 months or so.
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NeilBlanchard For This Useful Post:
Daox (10-05-11)
Old 10-18-11, 01:41 PM   #14
PGPfan
Lurking Renovator

Dry urinal? That's an easy one! Have a look at Ecovita(dot)net (sorry about the cryptic link, I don't have enough posts to put a real one in a post) and go to the products page. About half way down you will see the dry urinals. Two models, and both are less than $60 USD.

Hope that helps!
-PGPfan
PGPfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-11, 05:37 PM   #15
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Score one for PGPfan. The mexican dry toilet it is. I gotta get one for next years composting toilet and solar heated hot water shower room (ctashhwsr), gotta work on that acronym).
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-11, 01:52 PM   #16
trikkonceptz
Helper EcoRenovator

The cheapest solution to your problem is to keep a cup of cheerios or other dry round cereal in the bathroom. Drop one or two in the tank before he goes and almost by instinct he will try to pee on it like a game.

Viola no more mess !!!

I saw something similar in a public bathroom once where the company had printed flies on the urinal walls, did wonders for keeping the bathroom floors clean.

Men - We are simple creatures that will turn anything into a contest. lol
trikkonceptz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 10:27 AM   #17
Clev
Wannabe greenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by trikkonceptz View Post
The cheapest solution to your problem is to keep a cup of cheerios or other dry round cereal in the bathroom. Drop one or two in the tank before he goes and almost by instinct he will try to pee on it like a game.

Viola no more mess !!!

I saw something similar in a public bathroom once where the company had printed flies on the urinal walls, did wonders for keeping the bathroom floors clean.

Men - We are simple creatures that will turn anything into a contest. lol
I agree. The goal is to teach him to pee, not try to accomodate him. He's eventually going to visit a friend's house, and his friend's mom would probably not appreciate having to clean pee off the ceiling.
Clev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-11, 01:36 PM   #18
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

This reminds me of an old joke:
A guy is at the doctor's office and the doc tells him that he'll leave for a moment and asks the patient to pee into a jar on the shelf. When he comes back, the whole wall is wet. When asked what happened, the patient replies "I wonder if your aim would be better than mine if you had to pee into a jar on the top shelf?!?"

But seriously: Teach the little guy to aim correctly - I've seen what happens to public toilets when someone's dad didn't help him with target practice when he was young.
As my step-dad always says: "It's not practice that makes perfect, it's perfect practice that makes perfect."

And one more thing that motivates is the "You made a mess, you clean it" rule.