Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-14, 07:55 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Another passive house with crazy tight .1 ACH50

Its just a quick write up, but an interesting one I think. They have R42 walls, R100 attic. For air sealing, they used a layer of water and ice around the entire house. His ACH50 is .1! Crazy tight house. They use a 6 foot 240v baseboard heater for heat. The house is in Massachusetts.

Extreme Efficiency | Home Power Magazine

Quote:
I decided to forgo purchasing a fossil-fuel-burning heating system. I estimated that I saved more than $20,000 by making this choice. Saving this money allowed me to spend more on insulation—and afford a solar-electric system. I chose dense-packed cellulose to insulate the walls (to R-42) and the roof to an average of R-100. There is just over 16,000 pounds of cellulose in the house.

I control the humidity and ensure adequate fresh air in this extremely tight house with a Venmar heat recovery ventilator, which creates nice cross-flow in the house. The home has a 0.1 ACH50—compared to Passive House’s 0.6 ACH50 requirement. ACH50 measures air changes per hour at 50 pascals of pressure—the lower the number, the more airtight a house is.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solutions3.jpg
Views:	1345
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	4502  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
buffalobillpatrick (09-10-14), Ryland (09-09-14)