EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-16, 02:22 PM   #1
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Can earthquakes be predicted??

https://youtu.be/_6kGqrQie5o

"
Published on Dec 8, 2016

The largest earthquake of the year has struck the West Pacific. Measuring at M8.0 ,
this event follows the largest North American earthquake of the year which struck as well in California (M6.5) today.
"

~~~~~

I don't live in an Earthquake zone, but I like to know what's shaking....
This YT guy makes pretty accurate predictions..
Anyone living on the west coast, might want to check this channel before
working or playing in areas where an earthquake could put you in danger.
Like spelunking etc.

It seems like his hit warnings get a 'called' hit within 1 to 3 days..
He does a forecast at 10PM central and tries to teach his system of predicting quakes..

Old 05-05-17, 04:10 PM   #2
igasp4air
Solarnewbie

I have been following dutch for years..I'd say he is fairly obsessed...and his obsession is creating some good knowledge...there is a strange side to him but whatever.

I live in Norcal on the cascadias...and let me tall ya...we have never gotten a pre warning of an earthquake because there is no real system in place to warn us even with dutch and his crazy earthquake watching...they do seem to have the tsunami warnings down..we waited for the one that hit when Japan quaked out and even though they told us it was coming..4 people died! heh.

quakes happen OFTEN here. Suddenly your house is shaking and boom..you're in an quake. But mostly they happen offshore and as long as it's the right fault line...we are ok. We have learned how the different faults feel when they shake so we KIND OF know when to expect a tsunami backlash. But nature is a freak.

Every few hundred years a huge one hit the coastline where we are. Last big one was 8.+ in 1700...humboldt bay was created...water went inland up the rivers for 30 miles!
Another WILL hit...Hopefully we will have moved inland by then or be dead! Alaska is going crazy right now...
If I were a betting girl and had money..I'd place bets everyday on quakes hitting here...and most of the time I'd make a profit! heh

Happy day from humboldt!
igasp4air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 05:51 PM   #3
redneck
Helper EcoRenovator

Very interesting.

This is the guy I follow intermittently.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Suspici...view=0&sort=dd

He connects solar activity (solar flares) to earthquakes.

Also, how "space weather" affects our weather and climate.

It appears to me that he is on to something...

>
redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 08:24 PM   #4
jjackstone
Helper EcoRenovator

Currently there really isn't enough data to accurately predict earthquakes on a regular basis. Most of what the California seismic group does is collects data about various structures after a quake and then turns the data over to architects, engineers, scientists for study. Depending on the severity of the quake, the Office of Emergency Services gets notified within a short period after the quake to determine if, when and where to send help.

I do remember reading several years ago about trying to make predictions based on changes in ground temperature. I believe a change of less than 1 degree C over a particular short period of time measured by infrared satellite indicated an earthquake was likely very soon. Kind of makes sense. Temperatures rise, pressure rises. Pressure has to be released somehow. Not sure what happened to that theory and have never seen the follow up on it.
Lots of earthquake info can be found at this site... California Geological Survey - quake.ca.gov

JJ
jjackstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-17, 11:24 PM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

From what I've seen, Suspicious0bservers and Dutch have been able to do a bunch of accurate predictions.
Dutch's 'system' is based on the repeating patterns of quakes. Which seems like a good way of predicting.
If you get a deep quake in one area, there tends to be a follow-up quake (later on) in another area. Usually it's going to hit in one of two target zones.
Dutch will point out which area is the most likely be be hit, and he's right, much of the time. When he's wrong, he admits it and tries to learn from it.

He has a lot of fans in central Italy, where he gave them an early warning, that many people took seriously and saved themselves some grief, when the prediction came true..
If I lived in NorCal or down south, I would be sure to catch the Dutch prediction broadcast every night! Just in case he might be warning my neighborhood..
Old 07-10-17, 08:23 AM   #6
svensi
Lurking Renovator

Fortunately it is but not always.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
och spela på
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eller direkt på
om du vill ha den bästa upplevelsen.
svensi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 02:00 PM   #7
roflwaffle
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Does anyone have a link to their prediction hits/misses?
roflwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-17, 03:58 PM   #8
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I'm not keeping up to date. Too much other stuff going on this summer..
I did look around and found this video (again) https://youtu.be/D5mNpkg2iEI

If he seems to have predicted a quake correctly, and is attacked
by the earthquake 'establishment'(?), he must be doing something right..