EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-12, 10:30 AM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Why THRIFT STORES rock!

Anyone else here a big fan of thrift stores?

I'm always amazed at what I can find there. (Got a SCUBA tank recently...)
I also love that I'm NOT getting items shipped in from China and that everything isn't in a ton of packaging.

Here's some more thoughts on it:
10 Reasons to LOVE Thrift Stores

How about you? What do you like about thrift stores?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 11:29 AM   #2
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I like the price of the clothing at thrift stores
But dislike the styles..
Finding a pair of newish jeans for $3 is a benefit.
As compared to a $20 dollar pair from walmart the last 18 months and look worn out after 12, which has just happened to me. If you can stop yourself from buying something just because its cheap then , yes second hand stores are good! if you buy things like a kleptomaniac steals things then the stores are bad!
I do like the used building supply stores, their the first place i look when planning renovations.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 11:35 AM   #3
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

My local store has a "Man Aisle", which has tools, car parts, door knobs, etc. Never know what you will find there.

Sometimes they have tile or other similar "small" building supplies.

There's another store called "HOBO" (Home Owners Buyers Outlet) They get close-out and discontinued building supply items. It's gotta be the best place to get flooring, assuming they have the right # of square feet for you!

Habitat for Humanity also has "Re-Stores" which specialize in used building materials.

bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-12, 12:55 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

My last thrift store score was one of those wireless doorbells. They were moving and it was even half off their normal price. I paid a couple bucks for it. It even came with batteries! That was this summer... its still not "installed" which consists of plugging the reciever into an outlet and putting two screws in to mount the doorbell switch.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 01:25 AM   #5
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I have done the same, bought a cheap too good to pass up item to never use it. I have a pair of hip waiters right now, all minty, my size, the cats meow for hip waiters, i have never worn them once in 5 years of ownership. When will i learn ? I think i have, I am wise to that gig or more so my deposition to buy things because they are 'good quality'. Not enough thought put into the usefulness or real need of it. I do use the Habitat for Humanity Re store and have bought a lot of building supplies from them, I bought my refrigerators insulation from them and at the same time bought my kitchen wood flooring which i did install/glue down, its Tiger wood 1/4" top layer over a bamboo base , $60 for enough for my kitchen.

Last edited by ecomodded; 10-30-12 at 01:29 AM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-12, 06:35 PM   #6
Weather Spotter
I mod my world

I love them. cheep stuff, good place to donate items that I no longer need. then I know they will get reused for their intended use.
Weather Spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-12, 07:05 AM   #7
rhizomatic
Helper EcoRenovator

My wife and I have long been thrift shoppers. It seems to run in her family for a couple generations too. My best recent find was a set of wedgewood plates for her at an awfully cheap rate. I felt badly enough that I even mentioned to the checkout folks the brand, but they didn't seem to care or know, s o out the door I went with a dozen wedgewoods. I once got a $120 pair of wing-tip leather shoes for $4. Lots of other run-of-the-mill lesser bargains along the way. My great aunt is a wizard with these places. Love 'em.

rhizomatic is offline   Reply With Quote