Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-05-08, 09:22 PM   #1
tasdbois
Lurking Renovator

Default Hi from the great white north!

Hey there, I'm tasdrouille from ecomodder, I modified my handle a bit so it better suits renovation forums, but just call me tas.

I live in a 2 bedrooms appartment with my wife and 1yo son, so there's nothing really interesting about my place in terms of potential eco renovation.

However, 3 years ago my parents bought a somewhat remote rustic cottage by the Gatineau river 200 miles north of Ottawa (roughly 47,-75 ).
Currently they're mostly running on propane for the water heater, the fridge and the range. There's a wood stove for heat. Since the cottage is roughly 75 feet higher than the river, water is pumped up with a small gas pump from the river in a tower tank.

There is not much current on this part of the river. There is however a good wind during the day, especially in the afternoon most of the time. Solar exposure is pretty good in the summer, but the sun gets pretty low in the winter.

As of now the only eco stuff they have are three 15 watts solar panels used to power a radio, a cellphone booster and lightning which is all mr16 12v led bulbs.

So I'll be looking for ideas I could implement at the cottage to maximize our limited energy usage.

Last edited by tasdbois; 05-04-10 at 11:40 AM..
tasdbois is offline   Reply With Quote