EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-07-14, 12:54 PM   #1
BMR
Lurking Renovator

Default Mini split replacement carbon filter

The activated charcoal in my fujitsu mini split no longer smells very fresh, even after washing. I've searched for a replacement and have only come up with a $35 option, which seems very high given what it is.

I've found these "cut to fit" sheets designed for air purifiers and window air conditioners. I can get a sheet of that in the right thickness (~0.200") for less than $10 that would make 20 filters. It's more of a loose nonwoven fabric rather than the honeycomb in the original, but I think it would still allow plenty of airflow. Just curious if anyone else has also had issues finding replacement filters or has suggestions for alternatives.

BMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-14, 01:48 PM   #2
stevehull
Steve Hull

The "cut to fit" material is almost useless. You need to protect the fins from clogging up and those inexpensive filters will do that. But they do nothing to remove allergens/pollens from the air.

How much filter thickness "space" do you have (4-5 mm?) to fit in filter material?

One way would be to go to a HD/Lowes and find a good filter that is slightly larger than your mini-split and then cut it down to the mini-split filter size. The filter thickness will be an issue. I really like pleated filters, but finding then in 4-5 mm thickness is hard.

Steve
Old 08-07-14, 02:16 PM   #3
BMR
Lurking Renovator

This is the small (3"x12") "deodorizing" filter that is located in the ionizing filter housing. It covers only a small portion of the fins. The much larger standard dust filters, which I agree don't filter out much, cover the entire surface. I assume the purpose of this smaller filter is to provide additional filtration for a portion of the air going through the unit. I think if I put something in there with too much resistance (like a traditional pleated filter), I would get very little flow through it since the air could simply flow around it and through the standard filter only.

BMR is offline   Reply With Quote