EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 07-25-11, 03:07 PM   #11
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

our dryer does similar. I don't know the exact speed but it sounds like a jet engine taking off and the clothes are damp when finished. It does help a lot on drying time. My biggest complaint on the clothes line is I need a second one. It's 60ish feet long and only really holds 1 load. If I could get 2 loads up then I could do 4 a day which is easy. As is I have to do laundry every second day or so just to keep up if I want 100% line drying.

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 09:11 AM   #12
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

That's a lot of water.
Do you run the grey water from the washing machine into your yard? If not, why not?
Is it really necessary to wash clothes so often?
You wash clothes almost every other day.
Maybe it's just me, but a pair of jeans can be worn a few days before they need to be washed.
I'm not knocking you here. Just wondering why you wash so much.
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 09:43 AM   #13
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, its a lot of water. I tried to find the average water usage per person in the US. I haven't found a definite answer, but it seems to be 80-180 gallons of water a day! 40 gallons a day doesn't sound too bad for a family's laundry when you look at that stat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 09:46 AM   #14
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

two adults and two kids a 3 year old and a 1 year old. They go through 2 or 3 outfits daily plus pajama's and I only switch outfits when they are damn dirty. Add in the pretty much constant cleaning around here and the huge numbers of baths and so on and we get a lot of towels, dishrags, face clothes...

Until I had kids I really had no idea just how much laundry they generate. My daughter just switched from diapers to underwear. I now get 4-5 pairs/day from her. I used to dress the kids before breakfast but they wear half of the meal regularly so I just let the Pj's get wiped out at breakfast then we get dressed after a scrub down. Next it's outside wear the first stop is almost always the garden followed by the sandbox. a couple of hours later they're black. Scrub down normally does it but sometimes a full on bath is necessary then lunch. Once again they'll wear a good chunk of the meal. Sometimes the afternoon is spent inside sometimes out. If outside they'll be black again before dinner. scrubdown, eat dinner wear the meal then into the bath. New Pj's and then bedtime... rince repeat pretty much every day. Sometimes we get potty training accidents which take out pants and underwear or in the case of the 1 year old pant's and those snap down shirts. At night accidents take out sheets, towels under sheets, pj's and sometimes the comforter....

Lots and lots of kid related laundry.

Yesterday I did 2 loads which was 3 days worth. first load was 3 single sheets 16 towels 1 pair of track pants and about a dozen face/dish cloths. This almost completely filled my clothes line. The second was enough regular clothing to completely fill the line.

I do hope this amount will drop as the kids get older. for awhile the amount of clothing will be similar it will just get larger in size so I'll be forced to do more loads
Old 07-26-11, 09:53 AM   #15
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I also track that. On my last bill I averaged 73 gallons/day outside of the garden watering season. Period before that was 100 gallons/day but due to broken water meter that number is imaginary based on previous consumption from the year before when I hadn't done anything to save on water and still had two 6 gallon per flush toilets. I'd love to get some realtime water usage tracking going but computer linked meters aren't cheap and my water is.

picture 2 showers, 1 possibly 2 baths for the kids 1 dishwasher load, .5 handwashed loads, and 1 washing machine load/day. next add in toilet flushing for 1 adult and a 3 year old all day and then 1 more adult just at night. since the 3 year old goes every 45 minutes or so (you go all the time until they learn the feeling and learn to hold it a bit) I'm very very happy I replaced the old toilets with some 1.6 gallon/flush toilets that do a partial flush if you only fold the handle down a bit. Also you get the handwashing and the basic washcloth dampening that is always going on.

Last edited by strider3700; 07-26-11 at 09:58 AM..
Old 07-26-11, 10:00 AM   #16
iamgeo
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Lol, That's also a lot of water.
Are you draining the water from the washing machine to the yard?
iamgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-11, 10:56 AM   #17
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

not yet but when the laundry room gets redone/air sealed/set up for the solar hotwater in the near future(I've been saying that for over a year now) I will add a pipe to the outside for the washing machine to drain into. From there the water can go into a tank and be pumped up the hill to the garden via a bilge pump and switch which I already have.
Old 08-24-11, 09:03 PM   #18
Susanhill36

Yeah!
I got it. Thanks for sharing this nice link. I'm very excited to see it.
Old 08-25-11, 10:06 PM   #19
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Hi,
Another bad deal with the dryer is the during the winter the hot air it vents outside pulls in cold air to replace it that has to be heated up.

(170 ft^3/min)(68 min/load)(70F-30F)(0.07 lb/ft^3)(0.24 BTU/lb-F) = 6800 BTU/load, or 2 KWH per load.
The Half Project -- projects to reduce energy consumption and green house gas emissions by half

I like Randy's attic solar heated air to the dryer scheme:
Converting a Clothes Dryer to Use Solar Heated Attic Air For Drying

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-11, 10:55 PM   #20
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

pulling from my attic isn't going to happen due to the 20+ foot long run it would need just to get up there. I have thought about changing up the intake so it's at least directly pulling from outside however rather then pulling the air in through whatever leaks it can find.