EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-16, 03:55 PM   #1
sbkenn
Lurking Renovator

Default PV panel renovation

Hi. Does anyone have any tips on removing the shattered glass from a PV array ? I have two 200W Kyocera panels with shattered glass, the aftermath of a storm. I am loath to chuck them out, but obviously they are not waterproof as they are.
Thanks in advance.

sbkenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-16, 10:17 PM   #2
oil pan 4
Land owner

The panels are epoxied to the glass.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 06:12 AM   #3
stevehull
Steve Hull

I also would like to repair a couple of panels. In shipping, if one gets hit, the glass completely shatters into millions of tiny, incredibly sharp glass slivers. The electrical output is fine and I have dumped the glass slivers out.

But what to put on top now?

Steve
Old 06-20-16, 08:30 AM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

There are a ton of products that will do this job. With DIY products, you don't always get what you pay for (hype factor, small quantities). With commercial products, performance and longevity are pretty much tied to the price.

For cheap skates, the UV-resistant flavor of 5-minute epoxy will work. Make sure and get the syringe gun with the mixing tube nozzle. Once the tube fills, waste the first couple of ml as it will contain bubbles. After that, what comes out will be bubble-free. The stuff is not super viscous, so once you get enough epoxy on the glass, roughly level it with a bondo spreader. If you keep the panel flat for a few minutes, the epoxy will level the rest of the way on its own before it sets up.

Most of the other DIY products available are basically Testors model glue or super glue in a fancy package. Most have a UV additive to extend their life. Some even come with a UV light of some kind that is supposed to cure the stuff in a few seconds of exposure. Not bad for gluing a rearview mirror to your windshield, but I wouldn't use them in this application. Most of these products are super expensive for what you get.

The pro products that will do this job are known as LOCA (liquid optically clear adhesive) or optically clear epoxy. This stuff has been used for decades by the electronics and telecom industries and more recently for gluing cell phones/tablets together. Common manufacturers are 3M, Loctite, Masterbond, Epoxy International, and MG Chemicals. They all make low-viscosity products that will creep into the cracks and self level. Again, I would go with the gun/nozzle applicator setup. The couple of bucks extra you will spend vs. ketchup packs or tubes is well worth the convenience.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 09:27 AM   #5
sbkenn
Lurking Renovator

Default Panel repair

Have a look on eBay for solar film. Alternatively, see if you can get some toughened glass, 3m thick, then apply the PV array with some new adhesive. There are a lot of "water-clear" polyurethanes around which I think will work well. Start at one end with a roller and squeeze the adhesive ahead of you, then press the assembly between two sheets of lywood until cured. Horticultural glass is probably better that normal window glass.
Old 06-20-16, 09:30 AM   #6
sbkenn
Lurking Renovator

Many epoxies can be softened or even dissolved, if you know what solvent to use. The big question is, would that solvent damage the polycrystalline cells.
Old 06-20-16, 01:28 PM   #7
oil pan 4
Land owner

Just get some solar panel epoxy and put a layer over the panels, if you are real sophisticated grab an new pane of tempered glass and put it over the broken glass. That is all I can think of.
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
jeff5may (06-20-16)
Old 06-20-16, 02:31 PM   #8
sbkenn
Lurking Renovator

The trouble is, some of the glass came off which would leave gaps, and because of the shattered glass, the panel won't press flat.
Old 06-20-16, 04:21 PM   #9
stevehull
Steve Hull

Jeff,

My panels are 265 watt full size panels and are shattered throughout the cover- a tube of 5 minute epoxy superglue isn't going to go very far! There are also some areas where the glass is missing.

Any "pour on" products (thinking floor leveler here) that might do the trick?

Thanks,

Steve

Last edited by stevehull; 06-20-16 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: clarity
stevehull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-16, 04:24 PM   #10
sbkenn
Lurking Renovator

Will yours press flat ? Search for "water clear" adhesives.