EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-09, 12:05 PM   #1
gascort
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Ebay solar cells drop to $0.9 US per watt

eBay Seller: fred480v: Home Garden, Business Industrial items on eBay.com

The guy I bought my cells from (Fred480V) now has some new ones that are 50% cheaper than they were 6 months ago. Some are 6X6 panels that produce 8A at 0.5V - rated at over 4 watts apiece!

I'm excited to get more next time!

gascort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 03:24 PM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

cheap, but how long will they last, what kind of environmental standards were they made under, what kind of working conditions were the workers under?

Name brand cells, that were made in well known factories with employs who get health care are in the $3.25-3.50 per watt range now and those are cells that are in a frame, between layers of tempered safety glass and come with a 25 year warranty and should last 50+ years.
Individual cells like that are great for small projects but to power a house why not get something that you can also get the tax credit for (those don't qualify!) and you are suddenly down to just over $2 per watt.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-09, 03:47 PM   #3
gascort
Helper EcoRenovator

Ryland, good point; I apply working conditions and manufacturing conditions to other purchases(even though I don't purchase much in general); this one should be no different.
Can you suggest some that are definitely made by employees being paid livable wages and with eco-friendly manufacturing conditions?
I don't want to pay for a Sharp, Mitsubishi, Kyocera,etc. and pay for brand name and warranty but still be unsure of these factors.
I don't care at all about the frame, tempered glass, or warranty; I like to have my own control and responsibility for these items. If it breaks, I made it, it's my fault, I can probably fix some of it, and I can learn from it.
Old 08-09-09, 03:58 PM   #4
gascort
Helper EcoRenovator

I emailed the seller, fred480V, to ask if he can substantiate his claims about, "Made in the USA" and any other facts to help out with the reference of these cells.
Old 08-09-09, 11:29 PM   #5
gascort
Helper EcoRenovator

The seller claims these are from evergreen solar, made here in the U.S. No way of proving that, though...