EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-23-11, 02:17 PM   #1
Drake
DIY Guy

Default Greetings DIY'ers

Just recently discovered this highly informative site am reading it with great interest. I am currently in the design process of a superinsulated passive solar addition(a winter core) to our existing, not fully winterized(well insulated but no basement), retirement cabin/home) I designed/built. Am researching all the DIY(as much as possible) real world renewable/conservation features I can work in for a recoverable cost. Not trying to go Star trek because I like to fish with my free time and am not Banker wealthy. Thanks for sharing.

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 07:18 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site Drake.

We're happy to help and hope you share info and pics with us as you go through the process.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 11:41 AM   #3
Drake
DIY Guy

Here is my "project" which I'm currently researching/designing. A 1,000 sg'(2 flrs+bas) super insulated passive solar "winter core" additionattached to existing 1,200 sq' well insulated(R24wl,R40cl) passive solar(lofted 2 flr, no bas)"cabin" to retire in. Exiting cabin is usable all year(N cen MN) but is low in thermal mass because heat when there in winter(H2O drained for deep winter). Want quickest warmup. Passive solar still heats it to mid 50's even in deep -temps. Wood stove heat w/elec basebd if needed).

Design of the "core" zone will be for minimal heating demand for the coldest part of winter. As I'm building new const I can design for it. Super insulation(R40w,R60c), aggressive passive solar(lots of high R glazing) and high thermal mass are the core of design. Passive overheating is not concern because excess heat can be easily dumped into "cabin" zone.

Addtn will sit on 15x30 S faced full basemnt and have 12" Pex sand bed/slab floor for short term thermal storage. Main floor will be 12'x26' 6" engineered concrete floor w/hydron heat(2 loop systems, one for future active collection). Have 1,000+ sq' of S 12/12 roof for active solar as I can make it cost effective.

Not planning to go off grid or extreme but want to go as sustainable as I can afford. Main thing I am researching now is most economical backups for hydronic heating. Lots of cool tech out there but high priced and not DIY friendly. It is going to be the DIY'ers that will have to create economical heating "systems" for low demand homes because there little incentive for Corps to do it.

The "heat pump manifesto" in off the charts DIY. Wish I was "that" adventurous.
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-11, 12:59 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

A good high efficiency boiler should work pretty good for you. My plan (after adding more insulation) is to move through the house adding hydronic heating as I go. I'm planning on using a Munchkin boiler when I get around to it. They are very small abd very efficient. It isn't incredibly cheap, but the efficiency is great at 95%. However, with just hydronic floors you will not have a fast warm up at all. I have them in one room of my house currently and it takes a couple hours to heat the floor up to the point at which it warms the room.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote