EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-15, 02:29 PM   #1
petehouk
Lurking Renovator

Default instant hot water dispenser

I am considering an instant hot water dispenser for our kitchen. Would one of these be more efficient than boiling water on the stove?

Amazon.com: InSinkErator H-CONTOUR-SS Invite Contour Instant Hot Water Dispenser, Chrome: Home Improvement

petehouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 03:13 PM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

After considering standby losses, almost certainly not. Your best bet would be an electric kettle or even a coffee maker.
Old 07-25-15, 03:54 PM   #3
petehouk
Lurking Renovator

This is kind of what I thought but I am kind of hoping to get some analysis to make an educated comparison.

Also, we boil a lot water on the stove since we often drink tea and don't use an automatic drip for coffee.
petehouk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 04:20 PM   #4
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

We had one, it was nice for baby bottles when we needed lots of hot water at all hours. Mine had a 2 quart reservoir it keep hot. I've since removed it. You could install a programmable outlet timer on it to be off when your not around and double its efficiency. We use the electric kettle, boils a quart in about 2 minutes, with less stove heat warming my house.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-15, 04:25 PM   #5
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Like already said it won't save anything. Now what I do for hot water is turn on the keurig and use it for hot water. I only use it for iced tea and hot chocolate in the winter but I use packets and run the keurig without a kcup.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-15, 01:27 AM   #6
Quest
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I picked up one of these Zojirushi hot water pot with stainless steel vacuum flask within (they called it "VE hybrid") from a local thrift store, it's very efficient I must say:

Amazon.com: Zojirushi CV-DSC40 VE Hybrid Water Boiler and Warmer, Stainless Steel: Electric Hot Pots: Kitchen & Dining

Mine has all the essential features such as various temp control, de-chlorine (a timer set boiling for 3 mins before turning off the heating element), timer (can set to delay the re-heating by up to 8 hours, so as to conserve energy).

I think if hot water (for drinks) is what you want, this may be another option for you.

Just a thought on the subject.

Q.

Quest is offline   Reply With Quote