Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-08-13, 04:54 PM   #1
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Smile Mini split - HVAC tools not needed

No need for HVAC tools or tech.

I wanted to watch every mini split install on You Tube.

Problems:

1) I see only 15' line set. Great for me for garage shop install.

2) Can only have one Air handler.

I would like any comments, good or bad.

Found this video.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vern2; 08-08-13 at 05:00 PM..
Vern2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 04:33 AM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Looks like a winner to me. Looks like almost everything is included in the box set. Pre-charged lineset included with schrader valves on the ends, so no need to purge. Drill some holes, mount the units, run some wires and tubes, enjoy!

I googled the brand and found that Sunlight Supply carries these units. Here and here.

First link is 13 seer a/c only, second link is 15 seer heat pump w/ inverter compressor.

They say the units come with a 23 ft. line set. Not cheap, but still a good deal vs. having a tech visit your home to do the install. They seem to honor the warranty for a year with some obvious caveats.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-13, 08:19 AM   #3
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Smile

jeff5may,

Thank's! I thought I might be opening a can of worms. I was watching Xringer's thread on installing mini split. The weather in Arizona is starting to break. I'm locked out of shop for 3 summer months here, but 8 good months coming up.

Now I'm trying to figure out the best place to put air handler. Would like to cool ammo reloading and hand tools room.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Vern2; 08-09-13 at 12:31 PM..
Old 08-09-13, 12:25 PM   #4
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Smile

jeff5may,

Here's a better price.

Old 08-11-13, 10:07 PM   #5
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

The price of the Sunlight supply link is nearly twice the cost of a Fujitsu or Mitsubishi heat pump but you are looking at "15 seer" which isn't an AHRI certified figure as far as I can tell and there's no HSPF ratings. The second link is showing AC only and it is not a heat pump. Looking at these things they look like they are some of the first disposable heat pumps, how do you service the charge if it is ever needed, I'm not seeing how. Also looking at the incredibly loose fit on those air filters, your evaporator is going to get clogged up quickly so if you do go with this idea, fix their bad design by closing the gap. I'm sure some tape would do the trick and follow the same apparent quality as the rest of the product. I see the benefits of mini-splits to have some of the highest efficiency on the market but these are mediocre/minimum and they don't have performance values in heating and I have a hunch defrost is timer controlled instead of demand controlled so I'd be careful if you want to use these to heat as that could be a spendy proposition if it even works well. IMHO these are basically window shakers that mount in a permanent fashion. I'd rather install a window for a window shaker than use one of these no-name brands aimed for grow room use(based on the two sites in the above links), usually grow ops don't care about the quality of their equipment or its efficiency as long as their plants grow.
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-13, 10:46 PM   #6
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

MN Renovator, thank's for your post.

You make some good points. I don't want to spend $500 for HVAC tools, and it's an easy install.

12,000 btu Fujitsu units seen to be $1,400, Ideal is $1,079 it's much cheaper, link.

I'm looking at Inverter technology, not the high cost to run, window units. 13 seer is okay for arizona, don't need heat.

Last edited by Vern2; 08-11-13 at 10:50 PM..
Old 08-12-13, 01:11 AM   #7
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

MN,

I understand your point about buying the best and scrutinizing the rest. But this is the world we live in today: the big dogs sell their designs to the highest bidder when they come out with a new model/revision/product line. Not just with HVAC equipment; it's with everything. Last year's Sony stuff is this year's Emerson/Sylvania/Westinghouse/GE stuff. They change the plastic face/shell, and presto! New product. The guts that do the work are 99.9% the same.

I've never heard of Ideal Air, but I bet if you look under the hood you'll find industry standard guts that will cross directly with a Haier, Sanyo, LG, Samsung, or other major manufacturer's previous generation of units. Ideal Air most likely bought the rights to this "obsolete" product and threw in the sealed lineset as a marketing gimmick. They are making a product for a market that badly needs such a solution. They probably didn't design the units, and may not even make their own plastic shells or assemble the units. Since the unit was "AHRI" or "ASHRAE" tested by the previous OEM, Ideal Air may or may not feel the need to recertify/retest/pay again for the same approval.

However, this doesn't automatically mean the units are garbage. The company may have a few sharp mechanical engineers behind the helm. Who's to say these fellows can't beat Mitsubishi or LG (Lucky Goldstar: Philips bailed them out) at their own game. The big dogs are not about to market a unit their dealers cannot install for heavenly margins. It doesn't fit into the business model.

Last edited by jeff5may; 08-12-13 at 01:14 AM..
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-13, 07:46 AM   #8
charlesfl
Helper EcoRenovator

You might want to look at Friedrich. It is an American name and might have better support for parts and repairs. A lot of the Chinese units are rebranded china units, maybe manufactured by
Shinco.

Friedrich Breeze - The Worlds First DIY Mini Split Air Conditioner

This one also has a pre charged line set.

Hope this helps. Charlesfl
charlesfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-13, 08:03 AM   #9
Vern2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

charlesfl,

You guy's are great. Friedrich... ?

Last edited by Vern2; 08-12-13 at 11:25 AM..
Old 08-12-13, 08:11 AM   #10
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

What about the air that's in those two vertical tubes?
Those two 6 inch pipes are full of air and it's going to contaminate the R410A..

Wait a sec.. Here's a totally different hookup..
http://www.ideal-air.com/media/11692...%20on%2012.pdf

This plug-n-play looks just like the same one that I saw a few years ago.
For some reason, it never took off. I suspected it may have leaked a bit..

If you buy this today, which connection system would you get??

~~~

Since you have free power, the SEER of the unit is not important..?.

~~~

As been posted before, the 3rd world ' R410A Flood' install doesn't need HVAC tools either.
One line is left a little loose, the R410A is released into the lineset, (from the tightened side)
forcing (flooding) the air out of the system, via the loose flare.
After a few ounces of R410A sprays out, the flare is tightened down.

Sounds a little tricky to me. But, I could do it. Not sure how effectively it would flush out the air.
The R410a might freeze the air into an ice coating inside the copper tube,
so it remains inside the system.?.

If a lot of air/H2O was left in the system, it might not operate to spec.
Or, it might just die an early death.. No way to know.

Last edited by Xringer; 08-12-13 at 08:15 AM..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote