EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-04-12, 11:01 PM   #1
FXSTi
Lurking Renovator

Default New here

Just thought I'd pop in and say hi and introduce myself.

A few of you may have seen me over on Ecomodder. I think I first found this site through a link on 300mpg, so thanks Ben.

I'd like to think that my home renovation is done, but the truth is I have tons of projects that got to the good enough stage and remain that way. A good example of this is our bathroom. We bought our house 8 years ago, and it was a wreck. The only bathroom had a cheap 1 piece shower and was arranged so that a tub could not be put in. I jumped in feet first and gutted the room. Once it was apart I found I needed a new sub-floor. So I replaced that, rearranged the plumbing to squeeze in a tub, hung dry wall, and put it back together to resemble a bathroom. Eight years later it still has not been trimmed out and the tile floor I installed (incorrectly) is cracked all over. It is time to redo the bathroom and I never finished it the first time.

We bought the house because it was in the place we wanted to live and had the right piece of property. The house is a small 24X34 ranch with a 10' addition on a slab along the eave end of the back of the house. It was built in 1972, complete with dark wood paneling, green shag carpet, drop ceilings and T-111 siding. The guy who built it spared every expense in it's construction, and deferred all maintenance costs. Central heat? No need, we'll just put in a couple of space heaters. Drywall? Nah, just slap up some paneling and drop tiles. Attic insulation? R-11 was good enough for the walls it will be fine up there too.

Anyway, I have made a lot of progress. My first project was a new roof a month after we moved in. There was nothing wrong with it other than the insurance company refused to underwrite it based on a digital picture that the brand new agent sent to his underwriter. So, to get insurance I put on a roof during an early November snowstorm. The house has been gutted and drywalled one room at a time. I've had a high efficiency furnace and hot water heater installed. Vinyl siding over an extra inch of foam insulation along with all new windows and doors. The Kitchen was completely gutted including moving the plumbing to accommodate my new layout. There is still way more to be done than I care to think about, but the house is a huge improvement over what I started with.

I look forward to participating here and learning while I'm at it.

FXSTi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 06:43 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site FXSti. It sounds like your house has kept you busy! I know what that feels like.

As with ecomodder, we've made up a quick list of things you can do to reduce your energy usage. They're not huge renovations, just habbits and quick little projects you can easily do in a weekend or so.

60+ Home Energy Saving Tips You can do Right Now - EcoRenovator

Did you have any specific areas of interest besides the bathroom work?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-12, 02:48 PM   #3
FXSTi
Lurking Renovator

Tim,

I have a ton of interests. My two current problems are my toilet and my freezer door.

I have replaced the valve and flapper and still have to jiggle the handle to get it to stop running.

The freezer door on our side by side wants to pop open whenever the fridge side is opened. It also doesn't want to close. I think it is time for a new seal.

If I get the gumption, I plan to have a go at making some cold frames this spring and some sort of cover to keep birds and rabbits out of our raised strawberry beds.
Old 03-05-12, 04:27 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

For the toilet issue you might consider a dual flush conversion kit. Not only will it fix your bad flapper, but it'll save ya some more water by offering a smaller flush for #1 and a larger flush for #2. Install is very easy and the kit is pretty cheap too ($20 if I recall). Here is some more info on it:

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/conser...onversion.html

&
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
FXSTi (03-05-12)
Old 03-05-12, 07:57 PM   #5
FXSTi
Lurking Renovator

I'm off to Home Depot in the morning. I see they carry it for $20.
Old 03-07-12, 09:14 PM   #6
FXSTi
Lurking Renovator

It was an easy enough install other than my old flush handle being corroded in place. Had to crush the pot metal nut to get it off.
Old 03-08-12, 07:56 AM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

&
Old 03-18-12, 01:49 AM   #8
ajvena

Hi!
This is Ajvena. I am new for here. I want increase my knowledge.