EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Introductions
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 09-08-11, 11:53 AM   #1
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Default New from Canada

Hi everyone, I've been lurking here for awhile. Lots of great info. I'm currently building a pop can solar heater for my garage. hoping to find some good tips and share any info I can.

madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 12:26 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Welcome to the site madmike.

The pop can solar hot air collector is a great idea. However, Gary over at builditsolar.com has done some testing on different methods for making solar hot air collectors. He found that using aluminum screen in layers is not only more efficient, but also the easiest to build.

I too considered the pop can collector until seeing this testing. I have to admit I was quite happy to see I wouldn't have to drill a ton of holes in all those cans...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 09:26 PM   #3
GaryGary
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Welcome to the site madmike.

The pop can solar hot air collector is a great idea. However, Gary over at builditsolar.com has done some testing on different methods for making solar hot air collectors. He found that using aluminum screen in layers is not only more efficient, but also the easiest to build.

I too considered the pop can collector until seeing this testing. I have to admit I was quite happy to see I wouldn't have to drill a ton of holes in all those cans...
Hi Tim,
Scott and I did test a few of the air collector designs against each other at the link you have above, but we never did the pop can collector. I would like to do that some day, but it would require building a pop can collector, which seems like a bit of work

Some good plans for pop can collectors here:
Solar space heating -- active and passive solar projects for space heating

I do like the collectors that use a couple layers of black window screen for the absorber -- they are very fast to build and in the test we did, they beat everything else we tried.

Gary
GaryGary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-11, 09:37 PM   #4
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Thanks for the welcome guys, I'll start a new thread and post pictures when I can.
Old 09-11-11, 08:31 AM   #5
tensleep
Lurking Renovator

Default Pop can solar collector

Hi Mike
I have A small pop can collector that I have been running for two years. I'm very happy with its performance. As far as tips and tricks, I cut the top of the cans off with a can opener and made a punch to cut a pattern in the bottom of the cans. (no holes to drill) I strung the cans together with a piece of 1/2 inch cpvc through the center of the cans, pushed the cans in the column tight and glued around the outside of the cans. (I think I get better heat with a good tight metal to metal contact instead of putting glue on the bottom of each can) Keep the collector close to the ground so you can brush the snow off. Steve at Rimstar.org just made a web page with photos, graphs and performance data of my collector. I'll send a link. ( Well I guess I can't send a link just go to rimstar.org and look for 8/25/11 Guys DIY air heater under whats new.
good luck with your build.

Guy

Last edited by Daox; 09-11-11 at 09:45 AM.. Reason: added link
tensleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-11, 01:42 PM   #6
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

I just have to get the lexan and install the panel then I am done. I have it outside right now remove the paint smells. The temp has gone from 15C to over 55C in just a 1/2 hour. So far the results are looking pretty good.
Old 09-11-11, 03:34 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Great to hear. I'd love to see a thread with how you went about building and assembling things.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote