EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Do you use rechargable batteries?
Yes 18 78.26%
No 5 21.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-13-08, 09:08 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Do you use rechargable batteries?

I'll admit right of, I do not. Most my battery needs are met with donations from my mother. She literally brings me a freezer bag full of AA batteries that are mildly used when I need some. I think she gets them from the hospital where she works. They work great in the few things I use batteries in which amount to game controllers, remotes, and my toothbrush. For other sources of batteries I usually just buy disposable alkaline ones. For instance, last night I needed to replace the 9v battery on my IR thermometer.

Anyway, I ask this because I've been thinking of at least replacing the non AA batteries I use with NiMH batteries. I just found out that Harbor Freight carries these things now, and of course, being from there, they aren't incredibly expensive either IMO.

So, what do you guys do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 11-13-08 at 09:11 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 10:02 AM   #2
Tony Raine
Helper EcoRenovator

i use Kodak rechargeable AA in my canon digital camera (used to own a kodak, but it got stolen. 2 batteries were with the camera, i still have 2 left.)

my solar outdoor lights have 'em, does that count?

but i'm guilty of using regular batteries in everything else, which is pretty much just remotes and clocks.

the HF stuff looks good. i wonder if i could charge their AA's in my kodak charger?

Last edited by Tony Raine; 11-13-08 at 10:05 AM..
Tony Raine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 11:58 AM   #3
SVOboy
Administrator

The only rechargeables I have a purpose specific for electronics like camers and phones and junk. I really should get some batteries for the normal stuff, but I don't think I really use batteries much...
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 12:37 PM   #4
cmittle
Helper EcoRenovator

I have non-rechargeables in things like my alarm clock, but in most other things like cameras and Wii remotes, I use the rechargeable AA's that I got at Wal-Mart. IIRC they weren't any more expensive than the HF ones you posted. I just looked at their website and they show some lithium AA's too. From what I know about lithium's they are a little more sensative and would require a better charger, maybe I will have to migrate to them.
cmittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 01:29 PM   #5
Doofus McFancypants
Helper EcoRenovator

Yes,

we have a set of AA rechareageables - use for the Camera - and some of the kids toys.
we have rechargable bats in the WII remotes as well.

I would like to get AAA rechargables as well - and ( in my dream world) i would set up a Solar charger for them...

Steve
Old 11-13-08, 07:00 PM   #6
GenKreton
Lurking Renovator

Send a message via AIM to GenKreton

I've thought about getting rechargeable triple A's since I use about 8 a year but I never stumble on a good deal that includes the charger...
GenKreton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 08:31 PM   #7
Higgy
The Gardener

We use rechargeable AA and AAA Sanyo's in most of our stuff...from remotes to electronic toys for the kids. I think we use some regular AA's in certain things, but not many.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-08, 09:09 PM   #8
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Rechargeables in my crappy old digital camera - about the only thing I have that uses them. I have 2 sets, so I always have a charged set waiting, which is really great.

Ironically, the other place I use batteries most (and they're not rechargeable) is in my digital multimeters... mostly used for checking batteries.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 09:57 AM   #9
Blister
Lurking Renovator

We use them in everything. The flashlights, the digital thermostat, remotes...etc...

We have some that are 3 and 4 years old and we paid $40 about three years ago for the charger. They're all still kicking. We have definitely got our money's worth.
Blister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 02:00 PM   #10
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmittle View Post
I have non-rechargeables in things like my alarm clock, but in most other things like cameras and Wii remotes, I use the rechargeable AA's that I got at Wal-Mart. IIRC they weren't any more expensive than the HF ones you posted. I just looked at their website and they show some lithium AA's too. From what I know about lithium's they are a little more sensative and would require a better charger, maybe I will have to migrate to them.
Lithium batteries are actually easier to charge than nickel-based batteries. All that is needed is to charge at constant current and stop when the voltage reaches 4.2v per cell. Lithium is a very flammable metal, however, so lithium batteries have internal overcharge and short circuit protection. They keep their charge for a very long time, but newer nickel batteries are also good in that respect.
What I don't like about lithium batteries is the lack of standards.

There are no lithium batteries in AA size (at least not 1.5v) because the voltage of a lithium battery is more than twice that of a regular battery. However, there is a special size of lithium battery that is the size of two AAs side by side. It is intended for digital cameras and actually works quite well.

Tags
battery, rechargable