EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-11-14, 11:02 AM   #19
ldjessee
Lurking Renovator

Hello,

In my dream home (I keep working on it in my head, because without goals, which way do you go?), I was thinking of having both a few loops going deep (at the same time drilling well, drilling a few more spots for running cool/heat loops). I also planned on having a few surface loops, especially under the driveway and sidewalks.

And, a few solar hot water panels.

The house would have concrete floors (if the home would have a second floor, there also). I would zone the pex loops in the concrete floors, running multiple zones.

I was thinking of two large (100-200 gallon) water tanks acting as heat batteries. One tank would be dedicated for high temp (hot water, heating) and the other would alternate with seasons (low temp for cooling, high temp helping with heating).

PV Solar to help with fluid pumps, so that in the winter, pump warm water from the panels (once the water batteries were up to temp) to melt snow off the drive way.

Start with preheating from the deep ground loops, run through the solar hot water, then through the loop under the driveway. Once it is cleared, it will actually start absorbing heat, and could become a heat source instead of a heat destination.

In the summer, dump heat both deep and shallow loops.

I am hoping this is not too scattered, but I had always planned on having air ducts, as I love radiant floor heating ('discovered' it when I lived in Korea), but prefer AC air... Plus moving the air around (especially from south to north or the reverse) and upstairs to downstairs (or the reverse there also).

Zoned air ducts and zoned PEX system.
ldjessee is offline   Reply With Quote