EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-15, 10:39 AM   #11
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'm really impressed on the quality of the images. Every homeowner should have one of these to monitor their house for problems and areas of concern.

Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 10:40 AM   #12
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Here is some video shot with the FLIR ONE.

I compared the heat of a 60 watt incandescent, a 23 watt CFL, and a 8.7 watt LED bulb.
Please click the link.
http://youtu.be/uhwORsv0rWY

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by bennelson; 01-08-15 at 10:42 AM.. Reason: had to change link
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 10:51 AM   #13
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Ben could you try some outdoor night thermal images and video ,to see how the cameras performs as a night vision aid. Possibly with a cat dog or person in the background , I am curious if it has uses for the outdoor enthuses.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 11:04 AM   #14
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

If I had a IPhone 5 I would pick one of these up very impressed.
I wonder what a used iPhone 5 goes for.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 11:59 AM   #15
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
If I had a IPhone 5 I would pick one of these up very impressed.
I wonder what a used iPhone 5 goes for.
TRY_EBAY

-AC
Old 01-08-15, 12:06 PM   #16
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Thanks I already looked there. To buy to buy a phone I will not use and don’t need then add this cost on top just put it to expensive. (for me anyway) I hope they come out with one for the Samsung galaxy S series.
Old 01-08-15, 12:57 PM   #17
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Ecomodded: Sorry buddy, it's CRAZY cold outside right now even during the day. I'm NOT going outside at night in this weather. Also, I don't have a cat or a dog (wife has allergies.)

However, I did play around with the camera last night (indoors) a little bit in the dark.

Here's a photo of my four-year-old daughter, taken in the dark.

The thermal imager is pretty low res (I think it's 120x80 or something weird like that.) So without the visible light camera creating the edges in the image, the thermal alone looks somewhat blurry. This was indoors, so the walls and furniture around her held some heat, otherwise the background would be black or very dark. Just based on this, I think that the camera would do a fine job of seeing objects outside in the dark.

Also, keep in mind that this camera is PASSIVE infrared. It does NOT have any infrared LEDs on the front of it or anything else. It simply senses infrared heat emitted from objects. So, theoretically, it should be able to see a dog 100 feet away in pure blackness.

Pinballlooking: I agree. If I didn't already have the iPhone 5, I wouldn't have purchased one just to use the FLIR ONE thermal camera. But, I already had the phone, and the camera looked pretty slick. Lots of other people are excited about the SEEK camera for Android. http://obtain.thermal.com/product-p/uw-aaa.htm

Last edited by bennelson; 01-08-15 at 01:06 PM..
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bennelson For This Useful Post:
ecomodded (01-08-15)
Old 01-08-15, 02:43 PM   #18
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

If a person does not have a cell phone under contract obligation you can find a carrier that offers a free iPhone5 if you sign a service contract , Some carriers will offer a free phone others at a reduced price as a signing bonus. A friend did this , renewed his contract and had a option of paying $80 cash , or $30 plus his old iPhone for a iPhone5 which is what he did.

Last edited by ecomodded; 01-08-15 at 06:42 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-15, 04:04 PM   #19
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bennelson View Post
...Also, keep in mind that this camera is PASSIVE infrared. It does NOT have any infrared LEDs on the front of it or anything else. It simply senses infrared heat emitted from objects.
I was talking to a guy at a local geek meeting, who works for a company that develops Thermal Imaging equipment. I don't think it was Flir, because I would have remembered that name.

I told him about DIY infra red camera conversions, which involve removing the IR filter that covers the lens on most digital cameras. Seems that the IR filter is easier to remove on certain cameras.

I asked him if it was possible to make your own Thermal Imaging camera this way, because Flir and other Thermal imaging cameras are so darn expensive?

He corrected me, saying that Thermal Imaging is not the same thing as Infra Red, and Thermal Imaging takes place at a longer wave length than IR, and working with this longer wavelength is more difficult, and more expensive than working with IR, and that is why Thermal Imaging should not be confused with Infra Red imaging.

Have you learned something that is different??

-AC
Old 01-08-15, 09:11 PM   #20
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The android and iPhone6 is out soon.
Updated FLIR One infrared camera is smarter, smaller, works with Android | Ars Technica

Tags
camera, flir, thermal