EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-12, 10:26 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default What is your average utility cost per month?

I'm just curious how much things fluxuate. I know our heating and cooling degree days are all over the place depending on our climates. Also, rates for utilities vary depending where you are quite a bit. So, I'm wondering if cost is more consistent, or if it fluxuates just as wildly.

My average utility cost for the past year has been $170/mo. That includes natural gas, electric, and sewer.

Broken down further:
Natural gas: $55
Electric: $65
Sewer: $50

Average electric cost: .17/kwh (this is my total cost divided by kwh used, so it includes all service charges)
Average natural gas cost: $1.06 (this is my total cost divided by therms used, so it includes all service charges)
Sewer is a flat rate since I have my own well and just use city sewer. My water use isn't metered (yet, I plan to add a meter for my own records).

I'm hoping that my solar hot water panel setup will reduce that natural gas down to around $30. It will also lower the electric a decent amount because I've switched to an electric hot water heater in the last year (knowing I'd be putting up the solar hot water).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 10-02-12 at 10:34 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-12, 11:01 AM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I have a duplex with two electric meters but a single gas and a single water meter.

Our last bill was 5 therms and 415 KWH.

Our summer time natural gas use is $2.78 per month plus $10.25 in connection fees giving a total of $13 per month for natural gas (water heater), in the winter that bumps up to around $70 to $150 depending on how cold it is.
Electrical is a pretty steady $70 per month, a little higher in the winter because of the furnace fan drawing 600 watts every time it kicks on and we have two meter fees of $8 each.
We also pay an extra $0.013684 per KWH for "wind source" wind power.

Total for us comes out to $0.18 per KWH after all of the meter fees.

Our water bill for 3 months is $59 for water and sewer for 8228 gallons, that includes watering the garden and three adults in the house.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 12:04 PM   #3
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Electric works out to $69.45 per month which works out to $0.0856/kwh

Water is bundled with sewer and garbage. They average $32.09/month
sewer and garbage are flat rate daily charges
Sewer works out to $8.06/month
Garbage works out to $9.88/month
so water and taxes makes up the remaining
$14.51/month

So this works out to $101.54/month.

Just editing to add I also bought $360 worth of firewood this year. 2 cords. That will be used to supplement the heatpump. I usually cut my own for $30 plus gas and time. So add an extra $30/month to my total $131.54/month

Last edited by strider3700; 10-02-12 at 01:24 PM.. Reason: forgot firewood.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-12, 09:50 PM   #4
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

I heat my 1900sqf house using 220v baseboard heaters combined with my other electric consumption i pay $96 month on the equal payment plan. This year it has been so mild i still am not using my heaters. Never heat the downstairs but adsorb a lot of solar heat threw the windows, which has been heating my house lately.
My utilities are high and many, then they tax me to a total of 2 grand a year.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-12, 05:46 AM   #5
OffGridKindaGuy
Hi-Tech Hillbilly

Send a message via AIM to OffGridKindaGuy

960 sq. ft... $37.50 for propane to operate my 2 fridges, cook stove, and water heater.. (no electric or sewer)
Old 10-03-12, 08:46 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffGridKindaGuy View Post
960 sq. ft... $37.50 for propane to operate my 2 fridges, cook stove, and water heater.. (no electric or sewer)
Show off!

&
Old 10-03-12, 09:59 AM   #7
PaleMelanesian
Apprentice EcoRenovator

2400 sq ft, north Texas ~2500 CDD and 2500 HDD, all electric. Septic, so only pay for incoming water.

Water: $25 (40+ in summer watering the veggie garden)
Baseload electric: $50 *
Total electric incl HVAC: $100 **

Total bill is about $0.08 / kWh. Was 0.07 last year, going up to 0.10 next year. Thanks EPA and CSAPR and utilities who didn't upgrade until the last minute.

* should go down now with the Geospring heat pump water heater.
** was 140 with the old central heat pump. New 16-seer helps a ton!
PaleMelanesian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-12, 12:13 PM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Anyone else?

&
Old 11-05-12, 10:45 AM   #9
Duffy
Lurking Renovator

Our total average for water+heat+electricity is currently $291/month. Recently been hit hard with smart meter time of day billing. Currently working on a project to store heat in off peak hours, will post an update on how this works out for me.
Sudbury, Ontario is cold.
Duffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-12, 11:06 AM   #10
wyatt
Helper EcoRenovator

Our average is $132 per month for everything (including garbage, which I want to say is $13 a month and we can't opt out). We are in a 1900 square foot two story house in Northern Alabama. Highs in the 20's or 30's in the winter, COLD nights in the 10's, highs in the summer in the 90's or 100's, HOT in the 110 range. Coldest I have seen is 0degF, hottest is 113degF.
Gas in the summer is very low, around $13 or $15 a month (hot water + hookup), in the winter, it's higher, up to around $150 or $175 during the worst of it.
Electric + Garbage is around $30 in the winter (sometime higher) and upwards of $100 in the summer when cooling the house. The new windows REALLY cut down on our electric in the summer, our high was more like $150 before replacing them...
Water is consistently low, actually consistently pegging out at whatever their minimum charge is, at $20.80. We can easily look at our water bill history and see when we have had visitors, since those tend to be more like $30 or so.

wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote