EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-15, 05:15 PM   #1
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Old Compressor

So I found an old (brown cover) whirpool window unit, by the size of the coils it looks to be about 10 -12,000 btu. It has NO labels. The coils are aluminum! But the big surprise to me was the compressor DUAL PORTS! Check it out.

But I can't read the plate it has on it other than 464010 AS. I have looked all over the internet for specs. Anyone seen anything like it?

I was hoping this would be the new compressor for the DX Greenhouse Build.... but not sure now.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0449.jpg
Views:	816
Size:	321.6 KB
ID:	6400   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0450.jpg
Views:	815
Size:	302.8 KB
ID:	6401  
Old 12-17-15, 08:03 PM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

And I thought some of the stuff lloked rough when I found it! I could see the american picker guys pulling this unit out of a caved-in barn somewhere. They would stop off at an appraiser, who would immediately buy the unit to restore. At the end of the episode, the pickers would drop by the appraiser's shop, and see the thing completely new-looking.

From the pics you posted, it looks like 70's or early 80's tech at the latest. Your best bet is to look for a nameplate on the unit somewhere, as the older ones were mostly stamped, rather than printed. When they get really old, the numbers can still be read. Other than that, it looks as if the charge has been messed with: there's a bullet piercing valve on one line. From the discoloration, it looks like 3 suction lines (green from cold sweating) and the bullet on the discharge line (not as green from being hot). Can't really tell where the plumbing goes due to the close-up pics. As old as the unit is, it may be set up for R-12.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-15, 08:42 PM   #3
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Here are more pictures. Yes you are right 3 suctions lines and one discharge. The number 464010 AS was all I could read on the stamped plate. I took a picture and zoomed in. I can read LRA 58 Volt 115 Hz 60 Thermally Protected V100 D188 77
But there are more numbers that I just can't read.

Currently taking offers on this unit, including but not limited to the american pickers. lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0458.jpg
Views:	753
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	6403   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0461.jpg
Views:	770
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	6404   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0462.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	309.5 KB
ID:	6405   Click image for larger version

Name:	KIMG0463.jpg
Views:	764
Size:	332.6 KB
ID:	6406  
Old 12-18-15, 09:02 AM   #4
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

AHA! In the first picture in your last post, there is a tag directly below the thermometer bulb for the thermostat. There are also a couple on the shelf above the evaporator. You will have a better chance of fining something useful about the unit on one or more of these tags. At least one of them should list the model number, capacity, EER, refrigerant number, and the like.

It looks like two of the suction lines are plumbed into the top of the condenser hx for some sort of superheater / frosted evaporator loop. With a frosted up evaporator, this little pass through the top of the outdoor hx would boil off all the excess refrigerant trying to get to the compressor. The compressor may have a suction accumulator chamber built into it somewhere. That's my guess, anyway.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-15, 09:39 AM   #5
MEMPHIS91
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Sadly there is only white labels. The years have washed the writing off. The one on top only says whirlpool.
That's really cool about the extra suction lines.

Last edited by MEMPHIS91; 12-18-15 at 11:25 AM..
MEMPHIS91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-15, 01:07 AM   #6
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

The lines running through the top of the condenser look an awful lot like an oil cooler loop.