EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-04-13, 03:14 PM   #51
CudaNet
Lurking Renovator

An excellent idea... I was wondering how I could utilize the existing (builder installed) HVAC system in my house as I'm doing a similar setup to pinballlooking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
The idea here is to make these high-efficiency units work like dogs to save you energy and money. If you can satisfy 80-90% of your heating and cooling needs with only 2 tons of mini-splits (maybe less on average with inverter units), they will level your utility bill.

Let your old central system turn on for that crispy, windy week in January. That way, the furnace won't rust to death. And the central air conditioner can do its part on the 4th of July, when it's 105 degrees and 105 percent humidity for a week. When you have a party, just set the whole house thermostat to whatever for the day (or just turn on the blower to level out the temperature of the whole home for next to nothing) to keep all the guests comfortable.

CudaNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 04:48 PM   #52
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Be careful you don't add too much heating or cooling for your home! With these three zones, you will have over 2 tons of heating and cooling (at high efficiency) at your disposal. This may not sound like a whole lot, but it is enough to heat and cool a decent sized house if done correctly.

The idea here is to make these high-efficiency units work like dogs to save you energy and money. If you can satisfy 80-90% of your heating and cooling needs with only 2 tons of mini-splits (maybe less on average with inverter units), they will level your utility bill.

Let your old central system turn on for that crispy, windy week in January. That way, the furnace won't rust to death. And the central air conditioner can do its part on the 4th of July, when it's 105 degrees and 105 percent humidity for a week. When you have a party, just set the whole house thermostat to whatever for the day (or just turn on the blower to level out the temperature of the whole home for next to nothing) to keep all the guests comfortable.
That is the plan but right now I am making more solar power than I am using. I carryover the extra power each month until June first then they zero me out. I get nothing for the extra power I just loose it on June first.

I heat with natural gas. So I need a way to use some of the extra solar power to heat with. I will see where I am at once I have all three zones up and running. It will be nice to reduce my natural gas bill.
My Sept electric bill was $7.72 and I carried forward -$18.10 that I can use in another month. Oct I will Carrey forward more solar power.

That includes charging my Chevy Volt 2 to 3 times a day.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 04:56 PM   #53
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
That is the plan but right now I am making more solar power than I am using. I carryover the extra power each month until June first then they zero me out. I get nothing for the extra power I just loose it on June first.

I heat with natural gas. So I need a way to use some of the extra solar power to heat with. I will see where I am at once I have all three zones up and running. It will be nice to reduce my natural gas bill.
My Sept electric bill was $7.72 and I carried forward -$18.10 that I can use in another month. Oct I will Carrey forward more solar power.

That includes charging my Chevy Volt 2 to 3 times a day.

What is your capital investment to produce that amount of electricity ?

God bless
Wy
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 05:06 PM   #54
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

You can check it out in this post.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...lar-array.html
All the costs are broken down on the page linked below but my payback after tax incentives is 5 ½ years.
This is doing a self-install.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/solar-...r-array-2.html
We just made 10 MWh power today. Our power cost .10 kwh we just made our first $1,000 worth of power. Installed for 6 ½ months

Live system output with temps.
http://www.pvoutput.org/list.jsp?id=23064&sid=20945

Last edited by pinballlooking; 11-04-13 at 05:08 PM..
Old 11-04-13, 05:14 PM   #55
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
Best of luck on the install . Please keep us informed .

I have seen a few dual installs on YouTube , but that is all I know . My install is / was a single .

How does the price of a dual unit compare to 2 single units ? Energy consumption ?

God bless
Wyr
Here's a simple comparison to get an idea of the power consumption of this outdoor unit. At full rated power, it uses less watts than a hair dryer on high settings. Whereas a 1400 Watt hair dryer puts out around 4000 BTU of heat, this unit puts out 17000 BTU of heat using only 1300 Watts of electricity. On a bad day, it puts out 10000 BTU using 1100 Watts.

The virtue of the multi-split units is the large outdoor unit exchanger. At low-to-mid throttle, when only one zone is calling for demand, the COP of the unit soars as the large exchanger gobbles up the load outdoors with a minor pressure difference. How well this works REALLY depends on the manufacturer's algorithm for controlling the compressor and expansion valving. Some manufacturers have nailed it, some leave you wanting more.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-13, 05:18 PM   #56
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Here's a simple comparison to get an idea of the power consumption of this outdoor unit. At full rated power, it uses less watts than a hair dryer on high settings. Whereas a 1400 Watt hair dryer puts out around 4000 BTU of heat, this unit puts out 17000 BTU of heat using only 1300 Watts of electricity. On a bad day, it puts out 10000 BTU using 1100 Watts.

The virtue of the multi-split units is the large outdoor unit exchanger. At low-to-mid throttle, when only one zone is calling for demand, the COP of the unit soars as the large exchanger gobbles up the load outdoors with a minor pressure difference. How well this works REALLY depends on the manufacturer's algorithm for controlling the compressor and expansion valving. Some manufacturers have nailed it, some leave you wanting more.
Very cool comparison thanks for adding that.
Old 11-05-13, 10:05 AM   #57
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

When I first started talking about getting a MS my wife was so so on the idea. But now that we have had it in our bed room for a little while she likes it.
Today it was like 45 and she said when will you have my MS up and running I am ready for it.
She I really on board so moral of the story is the MS has a high WAF factor. (wife approval factor)
High WAF factor is not required on my projects but it is always welcome when it happens. 
Old 11-05-13, 11:13 AM   #58
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinballlooking View Post
When I first started talking about getting a MS my wife was so so on the idea. But now that we have had it in our bed room for a little while she likes it.
Today it was like 45 and she said when will you have my MS up and running I am ready for it.
She I really on board so moral of the story is the MS has a high WAF factor. (wife approval factor)
High WAF factor is not required on my projects but it is always welcome when it happens. 
Took me years to sell the idea of buying a MS for heating.
My wife hates it when I drill holes in the house.
But, as she became used to the big indoor unit hanging on the wall in our small living-room,
and experienced months of heating without using any fuel oil,
she liked it so much, she nagged me to repair the broken unit
in the garage and order a new indoor unit for it..
Our den now has about 3 times as many BTUs as it needs..
So, the den Sanyo should run at 1/3 power and last 3 times longer..
Old 11-05-13, 01:44 PM   #59
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Wife approval makes these units that much more valuable. I have a hard time finding things that are highly useful (to me) that the wife actually likes.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-13, 04:04 PM   #60
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

A semi truck came to my house today with a pallet for me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20131105_153623.jpg
Views:	1233
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	3592  

Last edited by Daox; 11-05-13 at 04:29 PM..