Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 08-26-12, 04:23 PM   #51
grayhawk
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Anyways, I once had a great interest in monitoring the state of my units,
but they run so smoothly, (most of the time) I've been happy just monitoring their power use.
I figure if or when, one breaks down, I'll repair or replace it at some point.
Right now, my ASHP monitor project is still on the to-do list..
But way down under the fun stuff..
My case is much different. The unit I want to monitor and control is in an unmanned building 5 miles away. And there is not set schedule when I might want it on & off. I need to be able to check it & turn it on 30 minutes or so before heading out the door.

Home situation is more normal. Ground Source heat pump working fine.

GH

grayhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-12, 09:52 PM   #52
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Turning my living room Sanyo off and on by remote control is very easy for me.
I have an X10 AC module providing DC power for my 10A power limiter unit.
The off signal to the X10 disconnects my Sanyo from the 240ac.

That's the nice thing about using the IR remote. I could switch off the power
and it would look like a grid fail to the Sanyo.
Once it came back on, the Sanyo would boot up in off mode.
But the remote would send it's command stream (within 5 minutes)
and bring it back to where it was, before the power loss.
Old 08-26-12, 10:07 PM   #53
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayhawk View Post
Sorry, I only listed my email in desparation as I haven't been able to get a response in any form in any other way... However, given no response on several forums, and no support from YMGI, I may have to go ahead and do that. In which case I will share the results.
Thanks, grayhawk...

This is a topic that has tremendous potential in many different ways. The most compelling reason for me is that the mini-splits are so efficient, and also, if properly designed, hydronic radiant floor heating systems can be very efficient, and the efficiencies of both together would work together in a very desirable way.

I don't know if you followed the thread, but Acuario did some very interesting work along this line and, as far as I can tell, was successful in cracking the code on a converted Daikin AC, which he had turned into a heat pump. He was generous in sharing his progress, but I'm afraid that the trail he left was not marked well enough for a determined newbee such as myself to follow.

I suspect that each manufacturer implements the communications between the inside unit and the outside unit somewhat differently, but I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers are most probably making their designs from a very small pool of specialized ICs that are made specifically for this application, so there are bound to be core design similarities.

Any information on this topic of inverter system communication will be most appreciated.

Best

-AC
Old 08-27-12, 10:15 AM   #54
grayhawk
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Turning my living room Sanyo off and on by remote control is very easy for me.
I have an X10 AC module providing DC power for my 10A power limiter unit.
The off signal to the X10 disconnects my Sanyo from the 240ac.

That's the nice thing about using the IR remote. I could switch off the power
and it would look like a grid fail to the Sanyo.
Once it came back on, the Sanyo would boot up in off mode.
But the remote would send it's command stream (within 5 minutes)
and bring it back to where it was, before the power loss.
Cannot use X10 as the unit is 5 miles away in an unmanned building. Cannot use IR as the unit is 5 miles away in an unmanned building.

CAN use internet as I have a 2.4GHz wireless link to the unmanned building. (trying to get to 10 posts so I am allowed to PM)
Old 08-27-12, 10:25 AM   #55
grayhawk
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_Hacker View Post
Thanks, grayhawk...

This is a topic that has tremendous potential in many different ways. The most compelling reason for me is that the mini-splits are so efficient, and also, if properly designed, hydronic radiant floor heating systems can be very efficient, and the efficiencies of both together would work together in a very desirable way.

I don't know if you followed the thread, but Acuario did some very interesting work along this line and, as far as I can tell, was successful in cracking the code on a converted Daikin AC, which he had turned into a heat pump. He was generous in sharing his progress, but I'm afraid that the trail he left was not marked well enough for a determined newbee such as myself to follow.

I suspect that each manufacturer implements the communications between the inside unit and the outside unit somewhat differently, but I'm pretty sure that the manufacturers are most probably making their designs from a very small pool of specialized ICs that are made specifically for this application, so there are bound to be core design similarities.

Any information on this topic of inverter system communication will be most appreciated.

Best

-AC
Yes, I did look through & appreciate the work Acuario had done and posted. But he was looking at the communications link between indoor and outdoor units, which I want to leave alone. I simply want to create a web interface to the indoor control unit, that monitors & controls, pretty much replacing the local IR hand control.

So my request is more for information more along the lines of the interface used for optional wall 'thermostats' or controls (one is called a digital control unit). The 'remote' building is an aircraft hangar at the airport. I already use an small embedded processor to monitor hangar temperatures and such and want to add an interface for the heat pump.

GH
Old 08-27-12, 11:04 AM   #56
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
Cannot use X10 as the unit is 5 miles away in an unmanned building. Cannot use IR as the unit is 5 miles away in an unmanned building.

CAN use internet as I have a 2.4GHz wireless link to the unmanned building. (trying to get to 10 posts so I am allowed to PM)

My little CAI controller can do X10. The data format is built in.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...html#post17319

I've used the CAI board connected to an old wireless router and was able to easily control X10 devices, using a portable wifi tablet.
Old 08-27-12, 12:09 PM   #57
grayhawk
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
My little CAI controller can do X10. The data format is built in.
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...html#post17319

I've used the CAI board connected to an old wireless router and was able to easily control X10 devices, using a portable wifi tablet.
You are going to have to give up on the X10 with me. Probably will not be using it.
Old 08-27-12, 12:24 PM   #58
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Quote:
You are going to have to give up on the X10 with me. Probably will not be using it.

X10 is just one idea. If your mini-split works like mine, using the remote to recover after a power loss,
then you can use any method you can find, to control the main power to your mini-split..

Is there a phone line to the site??
3-Relay Touch-Tone Remote Controller - RC3 - Shop now - Black Box

There are many ways to skin a cat..
Old 08-27-12, 12:36 PM   #59
grayhawk
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
X10 is just one idea. If your mini-split works like mine, using the remote to recover after a power loss,
then you can use any method you can find, to control the main power to your mini-split..

Is there a phone line to the site??
3-Relay Touch-Tone Remote Controller - RC3 - Shop now - Black Box

There are many ways to skin a cat..
I get the feeling you are not reading my posts before reply. I don't want to control the main power to the heat pump. There is no phone line. But there is a 2.4 GHz wireless link from my wind tower to the top of my hangar (5 mile link).

What I am hoping to get from the forum is some details on the wired interface to the inside controller board, so that I can integrate it into my already existing web based monitor/controller.

So, to repeat my request, is anyone willing to share the details of any wired interfaces for optional wired controls for the mini-split heat pumps; where wired interface is to the inside control board and not hacking into the inside-outside control link. The Sanyo series offer an optional wired controller and the YMGI advertises one that cannot be ordered. Also CadillacKid's postings imply the most of the unit built by Chigo also have it and he has interfaced to it. Details on that please!

GH

Last edited by grayhawk; 08-27-12 at 08:30 PM..
Old 08-30-12, 11:01 AM   #60
grayhawk
Lurking Renovator

Sort of a bump on this topic, and also to get me to 10 posts so I can PM.

It's not a good idea for me to use X10 in my hangar (where the mini-split heat pump is located) as the power wiring is shared with 5 other hangars. I don't want to go to switch my AC on or off and accidently turn on or off the engine warming plate someone else has installed on their expensive aircraft engine.

The safest and easiest method to me, still seems to understand the interface used for the optional wall control and then integrate that into my existing web based controller, one that I have written the code for. It is currently monitoring temperatures and other sensors within the hangar.

Thanks for an information as to this specific interface.

GH