EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 05-17-10, 07:22 AM   #41
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Friday night was graduation, Saturday I helped my daughter move, so I didn't get anything done on my garage project until Sunday.

I try not to work on Sunday, but felt I had no choice. After church I was back at it. I assembled 8 king stud / trimmer / cripples (KTC) for four of the five windows on the south wall. I also cut out window sills for four windows. Then I got to the task of assembling the 12' wall section that I had laid out. It seemed to be going well until I tried to put the second header in place. Seems I made a math error and the header opening was 1 1/2" too narrow. Oops! Anyway, I remeasured the entire wall layout, found my error, removed the offending KTC and moved it over that 1 1/2". The rest went fairly smooth. I finished up the wall {I thought}, drained the compressor and called it a night. As I laid down to go to bed last night, I realized I hadn't installed the short cripples over the headers for either window. That will be my first chore tonight. It also occurred to me that the 10' section that comes next is almost identical to the 12' section I just {almost} completed. So before I put this section out on the wall rack, I am going to use it as a template for the 10" wall. The only difference between the two is to the left of the first window. The twelve foot wall has 3' to the left of the left window and 1' to the right of the right window. The ten foot wall will only have 1' to the left of the left window and the same 1' to the right of the right window. There is 2' between windows and I split the walls centered between windows. That's why the south wall is made up of a 6', 12', 10' and 8' sections. I think I can finish the cripples on this wall before I eat supper tonight and put it on the rack right after supper. Then maybe I can assemble the 10' wall before I call it a night. Ambitious yes, doable maybe.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-10, 07:46 AM   #42
Daox
Administrator

Haha, good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-10, 09:32 AM   #43
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

We made some headway last night! I just need to finish the south wall sections before I start assembling the walls on the foundation. Last night I finished adding the cripples to the 12' section I almost completed Sunday evening and then I built the 10' section. Both those had two windows in them and that makes the framed wall a bit heavier. BIL and nephew helped get the 12' wall on the wall rack at about 7:45 last night, and at 9:50, I finished the 10' wall. There is only the 8' section to build. Life is GOOD!

UPS delivered my 5 tubular skylights (and light kits) yesterday. Four 14" and one 10". I'm looking forward to seeing those installed and what kind of light output I get. I had to go to Huntsville this morning (about 80 miles roundtrip), so I took the pickup truck and stopped at the big box store while I was out and bought two of the 6' scaffolds they have {$199/ea}. Renting two scaffolds is only $24/weekly, but now I can take my time and when I get through, I have the option to keep them or sell them. If I choose to sell them, I should recoup enough money to make up the excess {over rent} I spent to buy them.

Anyway, time to start earning my paycheck now. I'll be back!
Old 05-19-10, 07:47 AM   #44
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Last night, BIL, nephew and I took the 10' wall section out and stacked it on the rack. It's getting very difficult to lift the wall sections that high to put them on the rack.

My other BIL was home and so I went to talk to him for a couple of hours. He's the real carpenter of the bunch who will be making sure that the walls are raised plumb and the trusses are securely fastened where they should be, etc, etc...... Good news is, he's still willing to help do the assembly of the biggest jigsaw puzzle I've ever played with. Bad news (for me at least) is that he's going to a graduation up near Nashville, TN this Friday night and not coming back until Saturday night. He said he'd be happy to hang trusses Sunday. Of course Sunday won't work, that would be too easy. My mothers 75th birthday party is Sunday after church, plus the crane is not available Sunday. The updated plan (good thing plans are flexible, your plans are flexible aren't they ) calls for standing at least some of the walls up on Sunday late afternoon, early evening. Then we'll be marking where all the trusses will go. We'll try for the crane on the 29th.
Old 05-19-10, 09:58 AM   #45
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like a good plan. Things rarely come together when you try to rush them.

&
Old 05-21-10, 07:18 AM   #46
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Since I know now that I'll start standing walls Sunday late afternoon, I took a break from building that last wall. No, I wasn't being completely lazy. There are several other chores around the house that were being neglected, like the rain gutters on the house that had vegetation growing from them. They needed attention that would not be good to put off too long. We also cleaned up the spot where the trusses are to be delivered at about 8:00 this morning. Part of me is really looking forward to seeing them when I get home this afternoon. Now, if I only had walls to stand them on.....

Should have some good pictures to post on Monday morning. I'm going to have the wife take some of us {other BIL and myself} squaring the walls along with standing them up and bracing them. This is getting real close to the good part.

By doing much of the labor myself, I expect to save enough to pay for the tubular skylights {already bought} and at least part of the solar array I plan to run the workshop with. Wow, my imagination really gets going on this train of thought!
Old 05-21-10, 07:35 AM   #47
Daox
Administrator

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics. I'm also jealous that you'll have such an nice workshop...

&
Old 05-24-10, 07:14 AM   #48
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I got some work done this weekend, but I didn't get nearly as far as I wanted to. Saturday morning we went back to the lumberyard and got 30 2x4x12 and 10 2x4x8, all for bracing and standing walls. After cleaning the garage, I laid out the intersecting sill plates for the south and east walls. Then I remeasured what the last wall section should be and built it. With BIL and nephews help, we stacked it on the wall rack. Feels good to have the last section complete! The stack of walls is too high for me to do much with by myself though.

Next, I want to show off the solar light tubes, the trusses that were delivered Friday morning and the scaffolding, now that it's assembled.

I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I'm ready to install the sill plates and stand the walls up, but am unsure if I should put tar paper down underneath the metal that I used to cover the blocks (and as a termite shield). I don't know if that would be important as a weather seal of sorts. After I stand the walla, I lose the option to put tar paper in. I suppose I'll ponder that today.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Light tubes.JPG
Views:	578
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	743   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unload Truss 1.JPG
Views:	891
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	744   Click image for larger version

Name:	Unload Truss 2.JPG
Views:	962
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	745   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scaffolds.JPG
Views:	611
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	746  
Old 05-25-10, 07:22 AM   #49
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I got sidetracked a bit last night. It was the local electric cooperative monthly board of directors meeting and I went and "lobbied" for them to go on the TVA Generation Partners program. {Currently, renewable energy is not allowed in my home town. They say it's not safe enough. They know not from whence they speak.} I actually had a very good dialogue with one of the board members {on the record} that left me somewhat hopeful. I keep praying we can get on that program.

It was doing some serious lightning and the skies were threatening, so I only got a bare little accomplished toward erecting my walls. I decided to use tar paper on top of the blocks under the sill boards. I changed my mind about keeping the metal caps because they sweat ferociously, so I took them off and will not be using them. I cut enough tar paper strips from a roll of tar paper to cover all the sill boards and will try to get some real work done this evening. I can't stand this slow pace, while I am looking at my trusses lying on the ground.
Old 05-25-10, 07:40 AM   #50
Daox
Administrator

Haha, it doesn't seem like you're going too slow to me.

&