Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 10-03-11, 05:19 PM   #11
madmike
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdig View Post
Get this... Speedy in Scarborough ON (got transferred there by mistake the first time), $110 for a 4x8 sheet. Speedy in Winnipeg MB, $391.44!!! Yikes!

Then I went hunting in the Yellow pages, found a couple local plastics manufacturers... I can get Lexan with a 5yr non-yellow wty for $83.00 or Acrylic with a 10yr wty for $110. No brainer!

I'm thinking 1/8" thick will be sufficient, what are you using and did you need to put in a support brace to keep the panel from buckling in the wind?
Wow those are not bad prices, I would go with Acrylic for sure. I paid $284 with taxes in. Around here we don't have many choices and to get it ship from some place else they want as much for shipping as what the glazing costs. I used 1/8 inch and I had to put 2 braces made of coat hanger wire equally spaced on the panel. I put a couple of pieces of rubber hose to keep the glazing off the wire. For some reason I can't upload a picture of what I did. If your panel has a curve to it like mine I would make the braces about a 1/4-1/3 the width of your panel. I'll try to upload a pic later.

madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-11, 03:59 PM   #12
GoFish_Tony
Lurking Renovator

I found a used glass shower door for my project. Clear without texture for $50 and it's tempered glass and sized about right.

BTW, I am only heating a 12'X16' Shed. Will post more as at nears completion.

https://sites.google.com/site/tonysf...pop-can-heater

Tony

GoFish_Tony is offline   Reply With Quote