EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 07-14-10, 05:11 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Computer monitor recommendations

Well, I think its time to replace my old Hitachi 21" CRT energy monster. So, I'm looking for suggestions. So far, I've found a 21" Samsung LCD with LED backlighting.

Newegg.com - SAMSUNG EX2220X Glossy Black 21.5" 5ms LED Backlight LCD Monitor 250 cd/m2 DC 1,000,000:1(1000:1)

But, I'm open to suggestions. Must be capable of 1920x1080 resolution.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-10, 08:55 PM   #2
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

I'll suggest one that is LED backlit with ambient light sensor.

I do not recommend Viore. My parents got me one (22") and although the image quality is good, it takes longer than any of my other monitors to start up (even longer than some old CRTs!) and the HDMI/DVI EDID is messed up. The only good feature I see compared to other LED backlit LCDs is the external 12v power supply which means better compatibility for alternative energy. It uses about 25W, not much of an improvement over my old 22" Acer that uses 35W.
Old 07-15-10, 06:28 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

The Samsung EX2220X I have posted is rated at 22W.

My 21" CRT uses ~110W! The computer at idle only uses roughly half that (~60W).

&

Last edited by Daox; 07-16-10 at 06:04 AM..
Old 07-15-10, 07:07 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

The EX2220X is rated very highly by epeat.net achieving their gold rating. Looks like I have found a winner unless someone has another suggestion.

Product Detail

&
Old 07-15-10, 08:50 PM   #5
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

It's a good choice. Just doesn't have an ambient light sensor unless I overlooked it.
Old 07-16-10, 06:03 AM   #6
Daox
Administrator

No it doesn't. I looked at the other ones on newegg and didn't see many with this option. Its not too big of a deal, more of a nice to have IMO. My computer is in a darker room and I usually have the brightness turned pretty low. I ordered the monitor yesterday so it should be here early next week. I can't wait to have all the extra desk space, not to mention my monitor will now use less power than my computer itself!

&
Old 07-20-10, 08:06 PM   #7
Daox
Administrator

Just got the new monitor all hooked up and somewhat dialed in. I took the brightness down a bit. Right out of the box it was using 21W. Now that I have the brightness down a bit (it was too bright) I'm only using 13W! As much as a standard CFL light!

&