Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 04-28-14, 04:20 AM   #11
sixthwheel
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecomodded View Post
the narrower width indoor units would be worth the lost Btu's in your case, as space is at a premium. Paying more for less goes against my nature but sometimes you have to do what is best more then what is cheapest.
I'm willing to pay a little more for a little less. The price isn't so much a factor if it works well, looks good and isn't overly complicated to install. The wall mount units have the best SEER ratings. I only have a couple of spots on the walls where I can put a ~35" unit. If I go with a ~30" unit, that gives me a couple more options. But, none of the locations are ideal, just do-able. I'm looking more at units with curved tops so I can mount them closer to the ceiling.

Has anyone mounted a wall unit on the ceiling? What I mean is, turn the unit 90°, and mount the back to the ceiling. If I could do that, I'd have no problem finding a location. Drainage would be the main issue, but I've seen tiny condensate pumps that might fit inside it. aspenpumps.com I know that some of the manufacturers make ceiling mount units. Most are just for commercial use. They're huge and heavy, usually 24k being the lowest BTU available with SEER ratings of around 16.

The flush mount ceiling cassette units are too deep for my ceilings. I considered building some kind of frame so one could be mounted below the ceiling. It would be a lot of work to make it look good and running the lines through the ceiling to the middle of the room would not be fun. Samsung makes a 1-way cassette that's has a shallow mounting depth. Expensive though.
appliancesconnection.com/samsung-nj0261hxca-i240458.html

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	samsung1way.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	4349  
sixthwheel is offline   Reply With Quote