Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-04-17, 06:47 PM   #10
Shelby
Lurking Renovator

Hi Xringer,

Sorry for the late response, I took a little vacation time off away with family, the internet, my cell phone etc.. I had my son come to the house and close off the valves (again thanks for the diagram). Happy 71st BTW.... I did read through the link, wow - just awesome you were able to repair the unit and use it as a secondary.

I'm actually just north of Dallas... So glad it's not summer as this unit was in the master bedroom.

Update:
I checked my messages today and the company indicated that the unit is under warranty and they will perform the repair for $695.00 (labor). Um, I don't think so. In looking online, I can purchase a replacement indoor unit for $460.00 ($323 if I was looking to just replace the evaporator coil). I'm thinking of purchasing the equipment to charge the unit. Of course I'll ask my son to assist.

I'll report back once I've discussed this with him... As always, thanks so much for all your help.

--Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
Yeah, that might even help keep moisture out of the system.
With a hole in the indoor unit, and sun hitting the outdoor unit,
the system will breathe out, and back in at night.
Moisture is the enemy of R410a, and a vacuum pump will have to remove all of it from the system.
More moisture (damp air) inside the system means it will take longer to dry it out.
As the vacuum gets deep, water will boil, turn into vapor and be sucked out by the pump.

I once repaired a leaky outdoor unit that had been exposed to air (a small hole) for many months.
Seemingly, the POE oil (Polyolester oil) in the system was still good.
Once the hole was brazed over, and pressure testing and vacuuming was done, we just charged the unit up and used it.
It lasted a few years, before a grid power glitch killed the main control board..
Here's the link, if you get bored over the weekend..

Where are you at in Texas?
I was born DITHOT but left (Navy) when I was 17.. this month, I'll be 71.
Things are reversing around..
Shelby is offline   Reply With Quote